WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: x86 VLC changes (32 bit) plus vlc2  (Read 6072 times)

gordon64

x86 VLC changes (32 bit) plus vlc2
« on: September 13, 2015, 04:45:26 PM »
Hi

Main repo now has update for vlc.tcz and new package vlc2.tcz. In case you have done an update thru Apps without reading the new info file here it is
If you need pulseaudio, dvd playback, youtube or streaming support, see vlc2.tcz next command
Code: [Select]
$ cvlc -vv (can display disabled support items)
You may also see updates for (depending on which vlc you want)
taglib, libdvdread, libdvdnav, libbluray, libcdio, libcddb + vcdimager

In other words, if you want dvd playback, youtube, pulseaudio support then its vlc2 you need.

There is no reason why you can't download both but just run one per boot.

good luck

sizes total vlc 45.84M versus vlc2 51.48

the reason for the split is ....altho I have 8G RAM and dvd....I thought some people may have older spec PC with cd-drive and not want network support etc.

Offline nitram

Re: x86 VLC changes (32 bit) plus vlc2
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 09:09:35 PM »
Thanks for the build gordon64.

For those with limited hardware, youtube streaming may give sound but a blank playback screen. Try going into VLC > tools > preferences > show settings, select all > input/codecs, preferred video resolution, low definition 360 lines. Restart VLC. Hope this works. VLC youtube streaming gives much better quality and framerate than Flash player is able to provide.

gordon64

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 09:15:13 PM »
Regarding vlc2 ----youtube streaming

thanks for the excellent tip.....something I had not thought of testing.

gordon64

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 09:29:03 PM »
OK it looks like I forgot to add a comment similar to Juanito's post on updating openssl for updating vlc.

There are changes to the dep file for vlc so he suggests
the easiest way to do this is by using the apps gui update deps function.

thanks for testing

Offline Misalf

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 06:52:32 PM »
Hi gordon64,
thanks for updated versions of VLC player!

A thought about the file names - even though changing it now may not be the best idea - I wanted to say that appending a "2" to the extension's file name doesn't sound like the best way to me. It could be confused with "old vs. new". I'd suggest, if I may, something that indicates a slim or stripped down version (vlc-slim.tcz?) rather than an indicator for the full(er) version. Also, it happens that people don't see the "info" in Apps. 2ยข.

Cheers!

(Will try DVB through VLC when I get my USB stick back)
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

gordon64

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 09:18:51 PM »
Hi
I will focus more closely on running dependencies on any update because I failed to check the sizes of the recursive deps. I will wait for others to complain before deciding on changing any names for future updates. Also I failed to ask some members to do local testing before submission.....altho that may not have reported the size issues new vlc now now has.
cheers

aus9

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »
Hi

I hope mods don't mind me replying to an old thread and not drifting off topic too much?

I am planning on updating vlc 32 bit but may ask for testers to try and be smarter.
naturally I have done one local build, but it needs to rebuilt so I can not ask permission to submit until I get it right.

for vlc v 2.2.4
local audio tests pass...wav, wma mp3
fails for ogg....I had libogg-dev but will retry adding libopus-dev

local video pass avi, flv, wmv, mp4

streaming youtube....image loads then screen goes black but sound ok

new local test mkv video...image loads and plays but heavy pixelation

###################

whats weird is I never tested vlc2 until a few seconds ago....and my local mkv file plays well.

I am not sure if I need help with video acceleration stuff....but I am in no rush as I have to go away for a week. 

At a suitable time, with submission approval.... look out in the unofficial forum for my rebuild for any interested testers.

And if its not too rude.....I have refreshed my memory of this post and have elected to keep it simple and have only one vlc....vlc2 will left in 7.x for those who want it but vlc will update and maybe only vlc becomes available to be searched for Linux users who try out v 8 sometime in the future.

incidently the size difference when vlc to vlc2 is only 3 Mb when vlc2 is 54 Megs versus the cli mplayer of 10 megs.....so I don't I chose the wrong option in the past