WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Building a TCB Based Distro  (Read 2174 times)

Offline NullHorde

Building a TCB Based Distro
« on: August 27, 2015, 04:08:09 PM »
Hello my name is Nate, and I'm new to the world of Distro Building. I was hoping to start out with a simple build. My idea was that since I'm a very avid python programmer, that I would build a command line based distro for simple python development. i was going to start out a with a base python install and add a few of my own modules into the mix. The problem is that I really have no idea on how to install python onto TCB. Is there any way to install a tcz into a live version of TCB with no internet?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Building a TCB Based Distro
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »
Please read the book and the wiki pages on remastering.
http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/

Offline NullHorde

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 05:55:39 PM »
I actually did read/skim through the book looking for helpful info. But I couldn't seem to find much on what i was looking for. I figured that if i could get wifi working I could install the python tcz's and get two birds with one stone. Now I was able to figure out how to change the boot message and and did indeed find that if I could get the wifi tcz's inside core.cpio I would probably be able to install them locally, but I was having a little trouble with the archive its self. See I tried 7zip and could open it but I could not transfer the files. How can I get them in there with out destroying the archive with windows.\

EDIT:

On the other hand I could put them on a flash drive and mount the drive, but I don't actually have more than one at the moment. See I just moved and haven't gotten a lot of my stuff out of my old house yet, so I'm out of luck there. But can you mount a CD through TCB. I might just have to try!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:00:42 PM by NullHorde »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 06:09:04 PM »
Install from CorePlus instead.

Offline NullHorde

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 06:19:28 PM »
Yeah, I looked into that, but I'm actually looking to keep it just console based, and really small (under 30mb if possible). Plus I really don't want to have to go through the process of removing all of the other bulk packages. See if I get wifi working, then I can install python, and  that's all I really wanted anyways. It will suite me really well as something really lightweight. I was going to do this with SliTaz, but ran into other problems, and a 9mb base is something that makes the whole thing even nicer.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 06:39:24 PM »
Hi NullHorde
Install from CorePlus instead.
I think the install utility allows you to select whether you want a GUI or text based install.

Offline NullHorde

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 06:48:10 PM »
I'm not looking for an install, I want a live usb. Plus with the no-gui option it doesn't install wifi, which I crucial cause I don't have ethernet. And lets be honest here I want to learn something from doing something I've never done. I could do it all if it was just about the python, but I'm also looking for a challenge.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 07:10:13 PM »
Hi NullHorde
I'm not looking for an install, I want a live usb.
I'm sure what you mean by that.

You want to boot from a thumb drive? Install text mode to the thumb drive. Then use the Apps utitlity to install  wifi.tcz  to the
thumb drive.

You want to boot from CD and keep extensions on a thumb drive? Use the Apps utitlity to install  wifi.tcz  to the thumb drive.
Then boot using microcore and it will find the tce directory on your USB drive.

Regardless, you will need to use CorePlus initially to get the wireless components you need.

Offline NullHorde

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 08:12:47 PM »
Yea, I ended up using the core mole to then use the remastering tool, with the TCB iso to add the wifi module and the python module. Now I'm working on changing the boot message and the motd. And thats about all I'm gunna do for now.