Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

Moving Installation Partition

(1/3) > >>

3guesses:
Hi,

I have TinyCore 5.3 installed on a dedicated logical partition on my laptop (sda8).  If I wanted to have it installed on another partition, could I just move the files across (eg, after booting another Linux distro) or would I also need to make some system configuration changes to let the install know its new installed partition?

Thanks,

3g

gerald_clark:
Your boot loader configuration file defines where to look for the kernel, initrd, and persistent directories.

3guesses:
OK, thanks.  I use GRUB4DOS to boot TinyCore, so if I just move the files over from the TC partition (sda8) to another partition and update mu GRUB configuration, everything wll just work?

3g

Rich:
Hi 3guesses
Yes, that should work. The only other thing to be aware of is if you set up any scripts that reference sda8.

3guesses:
OK, well that didn't work - GRUB reports "Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format."

I copied the menu.lst entry for sda8 and simply changed the UUID to that for the new partition (sda25), but that clearly isn't sufficient.  The new menu.lst entry looks like:

--- Code: ---title Tiny Core (sda25)
  uuid e8ae...
  chainloader +1

--- End code ---
Does sda25 need something in its boot record to tell GRUB what to actually boot?

3g

PS  I also changed the UUIDs in /tce/boot/extlinux.conf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version