WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Setting 1920x1080 resolution  (Read 15440 times)

Offline 3guesses

Re: Setting 1920x1080 resolution
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 09:05:41 AM »
 gerald_clark, Rich, gordon64: Thanks very much, all really helpful.

Slight problem: I have installed fluxbox and now I have strange goings on with the TC Wbar.  I have Firefox to run on boot, and when I launch it from the Wbar the WiFi icon/app disappears from the Wbar and a second Firefox icon/app takes its place.  If I open tcWbarConf and click Apply, The Wifi icon/app reappears but then disappears again as soon as I close tc-wbarconf... Very strange!  Any thoughts?

3g

gordon64

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 05:07:13 PM »
Hi

I have Firefox to run on boot, and when I launch it from the Wbar the WiFi icon/app disappears from the Wbar and a second Firefox icon/app takes its place

I read this as meaning you have firefox in your "boot" list and not already opening or running on your desktop. I may be wrong.

but unable to replicate the issue on x86 (32 bit).
clicking an item in the tc-wbarconf click apply and then move it back it back click apply does nothing to my icons other than what is expected. No second icon appears for me.

If you mean, it is running when desktop opens are you using .X.d?
Otherwise I will leave it to the gurus to answer.
 ;D

Offline 3guesses

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 05:28:31 AM »
Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear - I had previously downloaded firefox.tcz and then added it to onboot.  As such, the last 3 icons on my TC Wbar are firefox, TC_Install and Wifi.  When I click on the "firefox" icon, Firefox opens, the Wifi icon disappears and a "Mozilla Firefox" icon appears in its place.  Interestingly, this doesn't happen if I haven't made a Wifi connection.  (Aside: should the Wifi icon change once I have connected?  Mine always stays the same with the red "pulse" lines.)  Also, if I click on the "Mozilla Firefox" icon it takes focus back to the running instance of Firefox, whereas if I click on the "firefox" icon again it starts a new instance/window of Firefox which then gobbles up the "TC_Install" icon...  If I the close down this second instance/window, the "firefox" together with one of the "Mozilla Firefox" icons then disappear from the TC Wbar!  If I then close the first instance of Firefox, I lose the "Mozilla Firefox" and another icon (ezremaster?) from TC Wbar.

3g
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 05:33:02 AM by 3guesses »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 05:41:48 AM »
Make sure you don't have any firefox ondemand entries.

Offline 3guesses

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 08:53:40 AM »
Yes, I can confirm that I have no OnDemand entries.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 08:59:51 AM »
Maybe check  /usr/local/tce.icons  for duplicate entries.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline 3guesses

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 10:31:44 AM »
Nope, no duplicates in tce.icons.  I presume you wanted me to check after a reboot, ie before I started any apps?

Offline volkerp

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 12:03:27 PM »
Hi 3guesses,

have you got the screen resolution you wanted (see subject)? If yes, the poblem is solved.

Disappearing wbar icons in another window manager are imho another problem, which should be discussed in a new thread. Why? There are perhaps users with the same problem searching for a solution. They won't find it under your subject.

Volker

gordon64

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 05:19:05 PM »
volkerp
thats my fault for leading the Original Poster astray.

3guesses
Now that I know which firefox you are referring to, I have another suggestion. My fluxbox test was using the firefox from firefox-latest, a locally produced TCZ called firefox-official

Altho I am acutely aware I might be told off again, its seems to me, your issue may disappear if you use a recent version of firefox and not some very old version?

If you can afford the download of another more recent firefox, use firefox-latest to do that.
remove firefox (old) from your onboot list
---firefox-latest should put a new entry into your onboot list called firefox-official after its done its job
------check your onboot list before rebooting

Later on, I suggest you delete (old) firefox.tcz from your tcedir.

2) Now comes the fun bit......make that firefox have a blank home page.
This should resolve firefox trying to get the internet that you have just reported.
You can always use bookmarks after establishing an wifi connection....OK?

I have a tower, but I do know that wifi connections can and do take time to establish. This is the most likely reason why firefox is trying to load a page it can't get to, if your home page is set to the internet.

Now you need to do one more reboot to prove if I am right or continually wrong eh.

3) If those suggestions don't work, then start a new thread for each issue, but sometimes but not always, its is easier to trouble-shoot one issue knowing that you have other issues.

this does not excuse my behaviour in leading you astray....just saying  ;D

good luck

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 05:22:25 PM by gordon64 »

Offline 3guesses

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 02:31:06 PM »
Hi volkerp,

Yes, good point - I shall start a new thread for the disappearing icons issue.

3g

Offline 3guesses

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
BTW, I think the FAQ should have an entry describing how to set resolutions that Xvesa doesn't list.

3g

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2015, 01:50:45 AM »
Please feel free to add this to the wiki  :)