WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: PXE Remaster problems  (Read 3968 times)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: PXE Remaster problems
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 01:44:13 AM »
We have only one official 32- and one 64-bit kernel per release, so yeah, the same.

Nouveau is pretty buggy, I wouldn't recommend using it. Your black screen was probably caused by that, not wrong configuration or similar.

Of course you could hack around it and make your GUI greyscale ;)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tucari

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 02:26:17 PM »
Cheers for the reply.

I could hack around it as I'm using opera in kiosk mode, and could flip colour channels on the fly. Just seems like a bit of a filthy hack! :) Add to that the fact that I'm not exactly sure which machines this is going to occur on. Haven't get tried it with a Mac 4,1 with a Radeon. Couldn't get nouveau working, the card is quite old (GT120). I wonder if there is anything that can be changed in efifb to flip the framebuffer before starting Xorg... will have to have a poke around. As I'm booting from iPXE I can determine the machine model and boot a seperate kernel for these machines if need be, and keep an initrd consistent for Mac and PC. is there any way to talk to efifb from kernel args?

Thanks

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 03:36:24 AM »
efifb has no such option. The options it has are base, stride, width, height - nothing for colors.

Offline tucari

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »
Curaga,

Thanks again for your help.

I've been trying to get an nvidia driver working, with zero success. I assume this is because I am running the 64-bit kernel, and the nvidia and nouveau tcz's contain kernel modules for the 32-bit kernel. would this be correct?

If I were to compile one of these drivers on corepure64 then move the module, is this likely to work?

all the best.
jon

Offline tucari

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 02:53:41 PM »
Hmm, that didnt work :) I think maybe i'm confusing what is required here.

The NV driver at least makes the screen go black, so xorg is actually trying to use it.. now to somehow get the logs when this happens .. :)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 01:46:40 AM »
The kernel won't load incompatible modules, and the -nv driver doesn't use kernel modules at all. Any extension with modules has the kernel version in the name. Nouveau is not shipped at all given how unstable it is.