WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: GNU Emacs in Tiny Core?  (Read 6473 times)

Offline samedirection

GNU Emacs in Tiny Core?
« on: March 25, 2009, 06:17:36 AM »
I stick mostly within emacs, these days, and wonder if anyone knows any reason why it might be difficult or impossible to port GNU Emacs to TC, particularly a GUI version, and ideally the development version v23.

Offline fos

• Far Out Science
Re: GNU Emacs in Tiny Core?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:05:36 PM »
I would find that useful as well. Maybe I'll give it a crack when I get a little more experience with the TC techniques.

Jeff

Offline samedirection

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 04:56:54 AM »
Emacs 23 (testing release) compiles without issue with the standard TC compile environment and GTK+2 and friends.  I'll submit an extension to the maintainers in the next few days.

Offline samedirection

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 01:50:42 AM »
OK so I'm a liar.  I had other things on my plate.  I might still get to it, but it'd be better not to depend on me.  It is a pretty straightforward compile, however, so if you're motivated you can do it yourself.  Of course, it's Emacs, so it won't be particularly small.  And in my brief experiment, compiling without the GUI didn't trim much fat at all, so I'm not even going to bother.  And I certainly won't bother going through the source tree carefully to trim off 'less used' features.  It's too hard to decide what those might be both for me and for you, so, with the exception of the 'obsolete' source dir,  I'll just leave the whole thing in.  Emacs would be well served by a general 'extension remastering' script, which each user can use to easily trim what is fat *for them* and rezip back into a .tce.  It looks like there are a lot of less-used features which would fail reasonably gracefully if you just removed their .el and .elc files from the final product.  But since this won't be a high-demand extension, it just makes most sense for users to do that themselves. 

Still, even though Emacs laps TinyCore itself several times in size, TC+Emacs does leave you with a fairly capable (and these days you can even say 'lightweight') working environment. 

Offline oeai

• 0 be 1 can 0 be if_0_then_1_else_0
    • Symbiants
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 04:08:52 AM by oeai »
symbiants from space

Offline oeai

• Symbiants
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 04:55:55 AM »
to compile ueamcs i've installed ncurses+dev+terminfo and in makefile changed f -lcurses > termcap and compiled succesfully
tce-run ncurses-dev, ncurses-terminfo  ; make
em is about 379kb + some rc/etc
emacs configures well, but then stucks
21.3 fails to build in an early stage
24.1 ./configure -without-x tells something about gets-security_hole-use_fgets md5.o recipe failed, i dont; know what to do with that

24.5 ./configure -without-x provides me with 15mb file - SUCCESS
i've dropped compiled dirs in g.drive https://goo.gl/jsE42U

i don't know which exact files are needed to be packed and how, i think you can just download and start it for tinycore 6.3 or maybe someone can pack it as tcz
symbiants from space

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 07:29:32 AM »
Hi oeai
Information about building and packing extensions can be found here:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:creating_extensions

Offline oeai

• Symbiants
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 11:29:04 AM »
well, i've build without-x emacs.minimal.tcz it's 43 mb - you can get it Link to private extensions removed per forum rules, try etc...
emacs-addons.tcz contains some docs and eimages
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:01:03 PM by oeai »
symbiants from space

Offline oeai

• Symbiants
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 06:55:52 AM »
i've made a emacs.mini iso it's about 48mb and includes support for russian letters using caps_switch for layouts
goo.gl/YzXjYT it's easy to do with ezremaster, the only catch up is in editing iso after it's built, i made it with iso master.
also added /opt/bootlocal.sh to execute setfont, to see russian letters and mc included in command_line boot option
home is at /dev/sda1, it takes 56mb of RAM so i can put back 64mb and 256mb to other old notebook
have fun!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:06:27 AM by oeai »
symbiants from space