WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: dCorePlus  (Read 13384 times)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
dCorePlus
« on: July 22, 2015, 08:47:54 AM »
I have Xvesa working in dCore-jessie with gtk2 apps, I remember there was an issue with Xvesa and gtk2 in dCore-wheezy.  I plan to put together a dCorePlus similar to CorePlus to help lower the barrier of entry in using dCore among newer users.  Mainly a matter of importing a package set at this point now that the ISO and the CDE function has finished being ported from Core.  To start with, I will make a dCorePlus-jessie, then the others later.

Offline jls

Re: dCorePlus
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 02:28:23 AM »
Hi
WM (DE) ?
dCore user

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 04:24:42 AM »
Probably the same offerings as CorePlus, to give it the same user experience and look and feel.  But for size I would personally rather stick with flwm_topside, folks can give their opinion in this thread.

Offline jls

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 05:42:56 AM »
You know my preferred. Problem of tc way is wbar where if there is no x-full-path-icon in the .desktop icons don't appear. And what about sce? Are you going to use one megasce or you plan to use multiple sces?
dCore user

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 05:47:26 PM »
dCore does not depend on X-fullpath-icon, but will use it first if it is found, it uses the existing icon in /usr/share/pixmaps if not specified.  I see a lot of icons in my wbar that are just upstream Debian packages.

I would rather not have a full desktop environment in dCorePlus as it's main use is to make it easy for new users to access the wireless internet, setup and tce directory and start importing packages.  Being able to easily install and run dCore is a hurdle that I think is keeping many novice Linux users from trying it out.  After a tce directory has been established and packages imported, one can then reboot with the standard ISO if they don't want to install. 

I will host the dCorePlus-jessie.sce in the sce area, one for each dCore.  That way the graphical environment can be also achieved with downloading the needed files.  I will make the packages into one SCE to save space.

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 10:12:55 AM »
Probably the same offerings as CorePlus, to give it the same user experience and look and feel.  But for size I would personally rather stick with flwm_topside, folks can give their opinion in this thread.
Sounds good to me, keeping it as near to the original makes sense.
AMD, ARM, & Intel.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 11:13:54 AM »
Polishing things up on this.  I have a 60MB SCE that contains wireless, Xvesa, flwm_topside, and the core fltk programs.  Hope to put up a prototype either tonight or in the coming days.

Offline jls

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 03:58:42 PM »
Hi
The network GUI uses commands with full path which are different here on dcore
dCore user

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 07:00:32 PM »
Thanks.  I see what you are talking about, I will provide symlinks in dCore* base to use Busybox and then use startup scripts of the packages to install the full versions when loaded.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 08:20:22 PM »
Ok, symlinks added for the network FLTK app to work, and startup scripts added to the Debian packages that contain the full versions of those commands to use the full versions when installed.

dCorePlus-jessie.iso and an updated dCore-jessie.gz are in:

http://tinycorelinux.net/dCore/x86/release_candidates/dCore-jessie/

Please test and report any issues or success on using the network app.  Testing either the ISO or the normal dCore-jessie.gz should suffice for the network tool.  When no issues are found, I will update the other dCore ports with the same.

Offline Zendrael

• Zendrael's home of projects
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
Hi Jason!

dCore has more drivers than traditional Core?

Does dCore uses more RAM than traditional Core?

I'm ok with Core concepts but still didn't clear about the differences between Core and dCore...

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 04:47:34 PM »
Hi Zendrael.  dCore uses the same kernel as Core so the same drivers.  The main difference is that dCore pulls packages from Debian repos along with a custom prebuilt section hosted here. 

The RAM used would depend in the RAM taken by applications and libraries.  The RAM used by the dCore extension format called SCE should not be more than that of the TCZ of Core, they pretty much use the same symlinking method.

Offline jls

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 12:07:34 PM »
Hi
I think a dCorePlus usb iso could be useful, with a tce dir inside instead of dce present in the current iso.
Thanks
dCore user

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 03:12:17 PM »
Ok, I will put that on my 'to do list'.

Offline jls

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 04:55:17 PM »
Hi
I think a dCorePlus usb iso could be useful, with a tce dir inside instead of dce present in the current iso.
Thanks
cde not dce, sorry.
dCore user