WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: VLC dvd playback  (Read 5447 times)

Offline edgardogho

VLC dvd playback
« on: July 13, 2015, 08:26:20 AM »
I can't get VLC (TC63) to play DVD.
When I run cvlc --list , I don't see the dvdread / dvdnav access module. On an older version I get those and DVD play correctly.
I'm playing a test DVD which requires no CSS and commercial DVDs that need CSS and neither work.
I have libdvdread and libdvdnav.

Any pointers on what I can try?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: VLC dvd playback
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 08:54:38 AM »
Hmm - as per http://tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86/tcz/src/vlc/compile_vlc

..vlc was compiled against dvdnav, so I'm not sure what happened here...

Offline Misalf

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 09:18:05 AM »
Same for me. Also DVB-T doesn't work.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 09:20:52 AM »
If either of you would like to recompile vlc, please be my guest - I almost never use it.

Offline edgardogho

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 09:48:51 AM »
I recompiled using --enable-dvdnav and configure complained about DVDNAV and DVDREAD not being 4.9.0 or higher.
So I got them from VLC and compile them both, then recompiled vlc (again with --enable-dvdnav) and I was able to play DVDs.

I'll try to sort out all the steps and will post them.

Offline edgardogho

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 02:05:40 PM »
OK, so I got it working with DVD.
In order to make it work , need to:
1) Get http://download.videolan.org/videolan/libdvdread/5.0.3/libdvdread-5.0.3.tar.bz2 and compile it, load it.
2) Get http://download.videolan.org/videolan/libdvdnav/5.0.3/libdvdnav-5.0.3.tar.bz2 and compile it, load it.
3) Get lua-dev.tcz and lua.tcz from tinycore 4.x (Need to be lua 5.2.3 , not 5.3.0 included on TC6.3)
4) Get libcddb-dev 1.3.2 from tinycore 4.x (needed to include cddb access for audio CDs)
5) Get https://github.com/taglib/taglib/releases/download/v1.9.1/taglib-1.9.1.tar.gz and compile it, load it. Needed for cddb access too.

With that I was able to get vlc, with RC interface (I need this for interaction with other software), support for cddb access and DVD.

gordon64

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 01:31:30 AM »
edgardogho

I think you are re-building vlc for 32 bit?
and I assume you will submit updated dependencies.....lots of work eh?

I am thinking of re-building vlc for 64 bit, mainly to add youtube support via lua script.

I have yet to start, but when I do, maybe if you agree we can pm each other with our build scripts?

cheers

gordon

Thankyou for your last post as I may need it to test dvd playback when I get around to it

gordon64

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 01:05:04 AM »
edgardogho
Just to update, my 64 build script is virtually complete as vlc in 64 bit was  tested for most local files,
one dvd=Zulu and streaming of youtube using lua script.

My offer to pm you my build script in case it helps remains. I am not trying to be pushy and recognise the packages and names and some dependencies are bound to be different.

cheers.

Offline edgardogho

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 11:26:59 AM »
I had to put this on the back burner since other issues have a higher priority.
I had to hack the web  interface component for VLC since it enforced authentication and it broke the software it was integrated with. Therefore I can't submit my tcz because its heavily hacked.
If somebody else can takeover building a 32bits version I would appreciate it.

I posted what I did to get it built, which is pretty much follow the posted src build script but using the latest libdvdread libdvdnav.

gordon64

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 04:10:24 PM »
edgardogho

Ok thanks for the tips above and the upstream sources appear to have a new maintainer.
I will have a go at compiling it.

cheers

gordon64

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 01:39:26 AM »
an update for those waiting patiently.

32 bit has been built but has numberous build dependency updates which may take a couple of weeks to land. I have yet to submit the now working vlc as I am in the process I probably offering 2 builds
vlc.tcz will be for those with no dvd drive and no need for youtube
---with luck?? new vlc will have a smaller total than current vlc of 34.20 Mb
vlc2.tcz will mean 2 extra features as above dvd and youtube.
----the total size including dependencies  of vlc2 will be massive altho the actual package is only about 6.8 Mb

Sorry if that offends anyone, you could consider mplayer 7.6 Mb with a total of 10.12 Mb?

Misalf
I don't have a TV antenna but youtube is working so I guess if network streaming is working as long as your tv antenna hw is recognised we may be good.

good luck

Offline nitram

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 04:37:28 PM »
Hi gordon64. Updated to your version of VLC on x86. Downloaded a youtube mp4 and tested a music CD (remember those), ran well.

Unfortunate you couldn't get install size below 35 MB as hoped. Curious why total install size is now 45 MB? VLC is such a little monster :)

Anxious to try VLC2 for youtube streaming.

Thanks for your hard work.

gordon64

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 05:30:11 PM »
Can you reply either here or at news item if it does not work for you as expected.
Next time I might ask for volunteers to test before submission but that won't fix the total size issue.

Yes sorry for larger size. I failed to check all the recursive dependencies......drat.

I am trying to work on something else at the moment so won't try to rebuild until vlc updates at source.

Offline nitram

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 08:23:07 PM »
Hi gordon64. Tested VLC2 for youtube streaming and audio CD playback. Sorry don't have a DVD drive to test. Youtube playback was good but initially gave a blank video screen due to limited hardware. For others with limited hardware, may have to go into VLC > tools > preferences > show settings, select all > input/codecs, preferred video resolution, low definition 360 lines. Much better quality and framerate than Flash player is able to provide.

Thanks for building this amazing beast. One thing wanted to mention as it also occured with VLC.tcz. When loading an audio CD the playlist shows the artist as Benjy Ferree, album Leaving the Nest with ~10 named tracks in playlist. I have no idea who this artist is and it is not  the CD i loaded into the system. Very strange, just letting you know. Is this a VLC thing, do you know this artist? I will try removing /home/tc VLC config info and see if it clears this up....odd.

Edit: Probably nevermind the strange playlist issue. Deleted /home/tc VLC configs, restarted VLC, unchecked 'allow metadata network access' and playlist populated properly. Was playing an obscure purchased CD, probably just VLC trying to guess what was playing. Sorry for hassle.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 08:39:47 PM by nitram »

gordon64

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 08:39:04 PM »
1) EDIT
so you get the credit....could you repost your suggestion for those with low specs on the TCE news post please?

2) thanks for testing
Can you manually load libcdio, taglib and libcddb then load vlc2 and re-check your playlist pls.

when I play an audio cd.....test cd was a bee gees one....I get an image of the album cover so I thought all was OK
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 08:55:10 PM by gordon64 »