WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Creating Tiny Core bootable USB stick from an existing hd installation  (Read 1832 times)

Offline mbertrand

I have Tiny Core installed on a hard drive and configured the way I like it. I would like to make an image of it that we can use to create bootable usb stick.
No tc backups will be done. Also, I noticed that if you boot from a Tiny Core usb stick and it finds an existing TC installed on hard drive it will load that one. This something I DON'T want. Can anyone guide me! Thanks

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Specify the UUID or LABEL in the tce= option of your flash's boot loader and you won't have this problem.

If you use tc-install to install core to the USB flash drive it will do that for you.
Then just copy the tce directory from the hard drive to the flash drive.

Online Rich

• Administrator
Hi mbertrand
If you have persistent  /home  and/or  /opt  directories copy them over too.

Offline ttz

I just did something today that is, roughly, like this. The difference is that I am using an 8GB stick and I don't require an image. What I did worked for me but may be terrible for you depending on these questions:

1. how much space are you using on your hd
2  is having an img important.

That said, what I did was to unmount my stick and then:

dd if=/dev/sdx of=/dev/sdy bs=512 conv=noerror,sync

That I have formatted my 8G stick in full is grossly unnecessary and made it take much longer than it should have if I'd had the forethought to make it smaller.

Hey, it is one possibility.

P.S.

My first effort was to do what gerald_clark wrote but it did  not quite work. Specifically, I noted that I did  not have alsamixer on the new stick. Clearly, I made a mistake. I needed things to work without the additional problem solving, hence, my solution.