WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Watching video  (Read 2223 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Watching video
« on: July 01, 2015, 01:18:25 AM »
Now as the RPi2 board has 4 ARM v7 CPU cores you can watch video not only with omxplayer. Install ffmpeg.tcz and try ffplay H.264 and xvid (mpeg4) videos for example played just fine but you can playback nearly any audio formats too.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Watching video
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 03:32:35 AM »
VLC added to repo.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

mrkramp

Re: Watching video
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 06:09:53 PM »
Even though this topic is already some months old I would like to share a little addition as I have been struggling with piCore 7.0 video playback on RPi2 lately.

The software decoder will of course still fail playing back 1080p video files, but lower resolutions will run smoothly. Only issue I ran into - and it took me quite a while to realise - was display resolution. ffplay worked with up to 540p in fullscreen on a FHD display (1920x1080), but 720p and fullscreen scaling was visibly lagging (audio still fine).

Normally all modern displays (computer monitors or TVs) support HD resolution (1280x720) so it is a pretty simple solution to lower the RPi's output resolution by editing config.txt:
Code: [Select]
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=4
Save, reboot and 720p video files will play fine in fullscreen as no upscaling is required.