Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

Xvesa without WM + dosbox

(1/1)

Scampada:
Hello,
I'm not sure whether it is a regular Linux question or not, but I think Xvesa that is used in TC along with Xorg may have some tweaks, maybe.
I'm using Xvesa to start X without any window manager, and then start dosbox in it; for now I have exec dosbox& in my .xsession and it works.
But, I want to have two options at my hands: run dosbox in fullscreen (works perfect) and run dosbox not in fullscreen, so it would be just a 640x480 box in the center of display (and then I would try to set a background picture for a display and make it fancy-shmancy, ASO).
I can't manage to do this. Dosbox runs in the top left edge of the screen when in non-fulscreen mode; all my attempts using -geometry, --geometry ASO ended in vain. I've found some relevant note of this:

--- Quote ---Usually to run a program within x without a desktop you would

startx <path/to/dir/filename.ft>
Personally I've never done this with mplayer, but a large variety of games which require x can be run in this way, upon exiting the program, you will be returned to the command-line.

Perhaps this will work for you or will help someone with a similar issue.
--- End quote ---

So, startx /usr/local/bin/dosbox, right?
Sounds good, but doesn't work. Xvesa starts but dosbox doesn't. Maybe it works only for Xorg, or something, I wonder?

So, how can I position a window (well... not a window when there ain't no WM... a region then) before, or after starting it in Xvesa using command line only?
Yet one more question. This definitely is a brutal, regular Linux one, but, sorry... How can I make X server instance shut down when I'm closing dosbox running inside it? (If I started dosbox first and then it started Xvesa... well, it would be obvious. But it's totally contrary.)

hal9king:
I did something like this many years ago -- I cheated and used a small window manager -- I believe it was twm -- i.e. one that doesn't start anything by default.

gerald_clark:
Flwm doesn't start anything by default either.

Scampada:
No window borders, no decorations? No boot time increasing? Xvesa boots instantly... with hackedbox it boots much longer. OK I'll try flwm, it was somewhere between optionals... Thanx

Scampada:
I solved this problem by using SDL variable SDL_VIDEO_CENTERED.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version