WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: sce-update policy  (Read 1607 times)

Offline jls

sce-update policy
« on: May 27, 2015, 05:11:36 AM »
Hi
In order to achieve speed in sce-update I've thought that each package in an sce will have a list of it's files, so when an sce needs an update, instead of re-merging all the packages, the sce could be mounted and the packages files of the updated package deleted and replaced with the newer ones.
dCore user

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: sce-update policy
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:36:22 AM »
I see what you are saying, with a package file list the sce would be mounted, copied to a read/write directory (same as merging but much faster), then the files in the package to be updated would have the old files removed and the new ones copied over in their place.   I will put it on the list of things to look in to, as I use large sce's of 500mb or more, would make updating a package within it much much faster. 

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: sce-update policy
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 08:53:47 AM »
One issue I see is if dependencies are added or removed.  Or if startup scripts have been updated.  Or updated data.tar.gz. 

I will think on it more, but there is a lot of details to deal with and it is a major change.  And all the calculation routines that would need to happen for each package combined with the copying of entire sce versus copying each package individually.