WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: shairport, minidlna, mpd or mopidy for TC6?  (Read 22855 times)

Offline aprilmayjune

Re: shairport, minidlna, mpd or mopidy for TC6?
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2015, 06:19:59 PM »

hi aprilmayjun,

Thanks for the information on socat, I'll keep it in mine if I have a problem with nc.

The command I posted in the earlier post works fine. The audio stream from squeezelite stops and the shairport streams starts and visa versa. I must admit I have only tested it on analog out though. What is the extra requirement for using the power command?

nc has always been available in the version of piCore that I have used. No extra software to load. It's part of busybox.

regards
Greg

Greg,

I'm not sure why I couldn't get nc working in picoreplayer. I'll have to try again. I've switched back to a miminized version of raspbian because tiny core was getting a little overwhelming for me! I love that picoreplayer can just be unplugged and nothing corrupts, but I also need shairport-sync so that's why I've moved back to raspbian.

I think the analog output does some kind of mixing. I remember once when I was playing squeezelite through the analog out on my A+ before I received my i2s dac, I tested sending something through shairport and both shairport and squeezelite played at the same time. With a separate dac and you've designated your dac in shairport and squeezelite (the "-- -d hw:0" parameter in shairport and "-o front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0" parameter in squeezelite), if the squeezelite player isn't off, Shairport won't work. The dac is locked out by squeezelite. I've read others complain about this also. Squeezelite will release the dac for other things to use like shairport or mpd or whatever once squeezelite power state is off.

I was also having issues with shairport.tcz just disappearing from my airplay list. I don't remember if avahi-daemon was installed as a dependency. I'm guessing that it makes it a little more reliable on macs at least?

Offline Greg Erskine

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2015, 06:56:29 PM »

hi aprilmayjun,

Thanks for the information on socat, I'll keep it in mine if I have a problem with nc.

The command I posted in the earlier post works fine. The audio stream from squeezelite stops and the shairport streams starts and visa versa. I must admit I have only tested it on analog out though. What is the extra requirement for using the power command?

nc has always been available in the version of piCore that I have used. No extra software to load. It's part of busybox.

regards
Greg

Greg,

I'm not sure why I couldn't get nc working in picoreplayer. I'll have to try again. I've switched back to a miminized version of raspbian because tiny core was getting a little overwhelming for me! I love that picoreplayer can just be unplugged and nothing corrupts, but I also need shairport-sync so that's why I've moved back to raspbian.

I think the analog output does some kind of mixing. I remember once when I was playing squeezelite through the analog out on my A+ before I received my i2s dac, I tested sending something through shairport and both shairport and squeezelite played at the same time. With a separate dac and you've designated your dac in shairport and squeezelite (the "-- -d hw:0" parameter in shairport and "-o front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0" parameter in squeezelite), if the squeezelite player isn't off, Shairport won't work. The dac is locked out by squeezelite. I've read others complain about this also. Squeezelite will release the dac for other things to use like shairport or mpd or whatever once squeezelite power state is off.

I was also having issues with shairport.tcz just disappearing from my airplay list. I don't remember if avahi-daemon was installed as a dependency. I'm guessing that it makes it a little more reliable on macs at least?

Thanks for the additional information aprilmayjune,

Lesson learnt! My test setup was too basic. Everything works first time and reliably using analog out. Changed over to a USB DAC and the wheels fell off. Sorta works, but nowhere good enough.

regards
Greg

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2015, 11:39:28 PM »
I found later that nc isn't even available in tce

The BusyBox nc applet is part of the base. However it may happen that you need the original due to incompatibilites to BusyBox version. Just added netcat.tcz to armv6/armv7 repos, try.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline aprilmayjune

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2015, 12:45:23 PM »
I must have lost my mind. After I reinstalled picoreplayer, i saw that NC was in fact already there. I think i may have tried running it using "netcat" instead of "nc". But it worked out for the best because I never would have found socat.

Offline nacho

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2015, 11:00:56 PM »
Hello :)

My first post in this forum.
Hope to get some help resolving my problem.

I tried to install shairport on Raspi, but it doesnt work. What have i done:
- I first installed the piCorePlayer 1.19k from this site: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/news
  That was no problem. Works fine.
- Not sure if i have really expand the second partition. So i tried to expand it to the maximum but i am not sure if this was correct. The Pi starts and the second partition was shown in the new size, so i think it was correct. But what does this mean? Means it, that the Linux will not work in only in RAM any more?
- Installed shairport with the steps on site 2. step by step.
- Does not work. After rebooting my iphone doesnt show me any AirPlay Player. Whats wrong and how can i find the error?

Can somebody help me please?
Thank you very much.

Offline nacho

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2015, 02:21:23 AM »
Thank you. :)

I think, i will use another workaround.