WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: erratical behaviour by xvesa  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Capodastro

erratical behaviour by xvesa
« on: May 15, 2015, 09:41:26 AM »
After a fresh install the x server starts correctly on the next boot. By every subsequent boot the x serrver starts but shows just a black UI, no working mouse.

No additional packages are installed.
Bootloader: Grub4DOS, original version.  kernel /tce/boot/vmlinuz # quiet kmap=de max_loop=255

What am I missing?
Thanks!

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: erratical behaviour by xvesa
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 09:49:46 AM »
I have a VIA board with a similar problem.
Some machines do not properly reset the USB interface on a reboot, or even a cold boot.
I believe this is because the machine never powers off the USB so that it can wake on keyboard activity.
Try removing the power completely.  Then reconnect power and boot.
Does it work then?  If so, you can try some of the BIOS power management settings.

Offline Capodastro

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:13:07 AM »
Hi Gerald,
I fear you are perfectly right!  Right now I was trying again and I managed starting the gui 2 times properly: I was playing with reboot and power off! Interestingly I use a Manhattan usb hub with 28 ports and the gui seams not to be affected. Well, let me see if I find the secret stroke. A suspect is that it starts properly if I wait at least a few minutes before powering on again.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:30:35 AM »
Hi Capodastro
Maybe check some of the usb boot codes found here:
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt#3687
usbcore.blinkenlights=1  might be worth a try.

Offline Capodastro

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 11:33:50 AM »
Hi Rich!
well, it didn't react on the blinkenlights command as kernel parameter, but it animated me to connect a hub with 6 different usb devices and delete the "quiet" parameter. The output shows that the devices are properly recognized. the lan works, I can ping. On the other  hand I use an optimus laptop, that could be a problem. I got also the message "bad dma" is that related to my 8 Gb ram?

What about installing xorg and an intel driver? What packages should I install? Maybe just vesa is on trouble.
I didn't find any useful bios option in the "cmos" panel.
Thanks!

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 11:41:27 AM »
I would try Xorg-7.7 and xf86-video-intel.

Offline Capodastro

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 12:06:56 PM »
ok, I will try, but I was wrong:  the lan is also erratic.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 12:11:59 PM »
Hi Capodastro
... the lan is also erratic.
Is it a wireless USB connection?

Offline Capodastro

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 01:28:16 PM »
First of all, I got it and It looks 100% stable  :o :o :o
I thank you, my friends.
Installing the 2 packages Xorg-7.7 and xf86-video-intel was decisive: at some stage will be loaded the graphic driver, the modus switches from 3 to 5, other resolution and "other everything". The procedure is really invasive and the system can't ignore it.

However, how install anything with no lan connection!?

- I burned the original ISO on CD and the CD starts always.
- Then I remastered the ISO just changing the vesa resolution to my native resolution, 1920x1080. In addition I gave all paths pointing to the selected partition  ( tci, home, opt, mnt, perhaps also tmp and all what I found). I don't know why, but the cd was able to find the paths on my selected partition and was saving there my installed packages. After that also the remastered image began working while starting Xorg by booting. The installed version was also working but no lan. Well, I just used the remastered image to boot again, installed MC to get some file manager, and the installed version started working 100%.

I really don't understand how it started working, probably you will find the reason, that is why I describe everything with precision.
By the way I don't have esoteric tendencies  :D

Offline Capodastro

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 01:46:57 PM »
Rich, still no idea about wireless. I have an internal intel wifi plus an external ralink. still no idea about how tu put them on the work. I assume the driver for the internal is already installed.

Offline Capodastro

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »
Finally, Regard to everybody from my Tinz Core installation!