WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: opera problem  (Read 2445 times)

olihd

opera problem
« on: May 07, 2015, 02:08:17 PM »
Hi,
i try to use opera but found a problem or so.... i want to install adblockplus over the widget menu. but clicking on the green add bar on the website did do nothing. maybe opera is to old....it's version 9, actual is 12.x but found no way to upgrade. is a package for tiny 6.2 available or how can i add adblockplus to version 9? any hints welcome....

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: opera problem
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 12:41:18 AM »
There's an opera-12 extension in the corepure64 repo if that's any help?

The fifth browser is available in both the x86 and x86_64 repos and is intended (amongst other things) to take the best elements of the opera browser.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:50:56 AM by Juanito »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 02:59:47 AM »
Neither Fifth nor Opera 9 support extensions like ABP, they use plain block lists. I don't think any non-chrome Opera supported ABP.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 06:37:20 AM »
This is a nice alternative to ad blocking browser plugins and works for the entire system
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

olihd

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 02:48:32 AM »
This is a nice alternative to ad blocking browser plugins and works for the entire system
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

yes - it's old and works .... but you need to know the domain names of all unwanted ads..... so your main job is to keep the hosts file up to date.....

Offline Misalf

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 08:15:30 AM »
The host file that you can download on that site was last updated less than a week ago. (;
Noticeable, using this hosts file, some sites like DistroWatch can still display ads since your computer is not contacting the "bad" ad servers.

To use it with Core it can be stored at f.e.  /etc/hosts.mvps  and listed in  /opt/.filetool.lst .
While booting, after Core recreated that file to default, merging the two files.
/opt/bootsync.sh:
Code: [Select]
[ -e /etc/hosts.mvps ] && cat /etc/hosts.mvps >> /etc/hosts &

Minor edits to hosts.mvps  to not have duplicates... Commenting-out lines that are created by Core while booting ...
#127.0.0.1 localhost
#
#::1 localhost #[IPv6]
... and maybe changing every  0.0.0.0  to  127.0.0.1  (which can be done with Tiny Core's  editor  in one step) because using 0.0.0.0 is just a fix for Windows. Not sure if it affects Linux though.

Also not sure if necessary but I did ...
sudo dos2unix /etc/hosts.mvps

Works quite well. No bloat - ABP makes my browser start very slow.
Though, that hosts file is half a mega byte.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)