WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Firefox...a little help  (Read 4052 times)

Offline gwalther

Firefox...a little help
« on: May 06, 2015, 07:01:06 PM »
I have imported firefox using sce-import.  It works fine, but it is version28.  According to this page:

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/mozilla_team_firefox_next/trusty/main/base/firefox

there is version 38 available but it is in the...security ...main....... repository, not the ..base...main.... repository., which it seems stock dcore uses.

I tried all sorts of ways to use...ppa-add to get sce-import to look for the later  version...but with no success.......a little help???

Offline coreplayer2

Re: Firefox...a little help
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 08:47:47 PM »
in regular tc you would use firefox-latest to fetch the latest version, how this relates to dcore I have no clue..

Is there something I can do for this??

Offline gwalther

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 06:47:47 AM »
I have used TinyCore, on several computers for years.  I really like it.
I dedided to try dCore because I hoped to be able to download and try programs contained in the .deb repositories that are not available in the tinycore repositories.
This was a test, try and download and use the latest firefox from a repository  that is not in the base repository that stock dcore uses.  So the question is...how do you add additional repositories and access them?

I  have tried to add locations to .../opt/debextra/...using ppa-add...and also manually adding a file, all without sucess.
A  suggestion, .....include a ../opt/debextra/  with a set of files for repositories that are know to work...which the user could manually edit as necessary adding or deleting repositories he did or did not want to use.   Seeing working examples would really aid in learning how to use additional repositories.

Using dCore to access lots of additional software would seem to it's strength, and as such more  documentation and examples  on how to do this would be a real plus.

Offline Onyarian

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 08:07:35 AM »
Here you have some examples of repo files in /opt/debextra/

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,18321.msg111735.html#msg111735

Offline gwalther

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 09:22:23 AM »
@Onyarian
Thanks so much...don't know how I missed that in my search to make extra repos work.

Ok.... so I have added several repos to debextra which I think should contain newer versions of fiefox, but when I do... sce-import -b firefox ...I get the same programs  displayed..no chose of versions.....and it creates a sce with version 28.  How do use sce-import to get/choose between several different version of the same program..ie firefox??

I did try  entering varations of    sce-import -b  firefox...... with version/build  numbers appended....no luck!

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 10:06:21 AM »
Below is a repo that should have the latest.

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,16442.0.html

Offline gwalther

SOLVED Re: Firefox...a little help
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 11:01:03 AM »
Thanks Jason...that did it...I have learned so much about using repos.

A couple last  questions to finish my understanding.....after  I added  the repo you suggested, when I used .....sce-import -r -b firefox....the same old list of availabe downloads appeared, firefox-mozilla-build... was not among them.   But when I did..... sce-import -r -b firefox-mozilla-build....the newer version was available, so I downloaded it and it worked.  Why did the ...mozilla-build package not show up when I just entered..firefox? 
Also is it ever the case two different repos would have  a  package with the same name..ie firefox....but a different version?  If so how would sce-import distinguish between the two versions.

Thats it..thank you everyone for helping out an old timer with limited knowledge!