WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: FreeBasic  (Read 2865 times)

Offline nimday

FreeBasic
« on: May 04, 2015, 12:53:46 PM »
I'm folllowing this tutorial :http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,11924.msg63489.html#msg63489
Freebasic installed ok, but i have a problem because no output file to test hello world message

Do i need to install gcc maybe ?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: FreeBasic
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 02:39:43 PM »
Are you referring freebasic in 4.x / x86 repo? If so which TC version are you running? Any (error)message in the terminal when you start it?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline socks

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 09:12:19 PM »
Hi
I think I can help with this. The FB-0.23 package (from 4.x repo ?) does not work as it is.
I guess it was never tested on a clean system.
Anyway I did some work finding the fault and discovering what is needed to get FB running on TinyCore.

Freebasic needs compiletc.tcz and ncurses-dev.tcz as dependencies.
Aside from that there is a binary 'fbc' a few library files and a number of header files.
If all these are in the right locations in /usr/local, it just works.

The faulty .tcz runs the freebasic linux installer which unpacks a freebasic package of the needed files
The problem is that the startup script (needlessly) checks for the dependencies in the wrong place and fails silently before it gets to running the installer.  So nothing happens and there are no error messages.

A better approach is to repack the needed files as a .tcz which then does not need a startup script anyway.
I've tested this with FB 0.23 and FB 0.24 on TC 4.7.
The version of TC is not critical provided the C compiler is sufficiently advanced.
I believe FB 1.00 and FB 1.01 would also work without fuss.

I had planned to submit a FB .tcz but since there is little apparent interest in FB on the TC forums, the project is on the back burner.
I could provide more detail later if there is any interest.

Offline nimday

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 04:39:07 PM »
Are you referring freebasic in 4.x / x86 repo? If so which TC version are you running? Any (error)message in the terminal when you start it?

Thanks
The latest (15 mb) : http://tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86/release/TinyCore-current.iso
and freebasic from the tutorial 0.23
No error message ,compile with -r swith , i get the generated asm file but can't compile to executable(fbc hello.bas)

Maybe i should downgrade ?

Offline nimday

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 04:43:04 PM »
Hi
I think I can help with this. The FB-0.23 package (from 4.x repo ?) does not work as it is.
I guess it was never tested on a clean system.
Anyway I did some work finding the fault and discovering what is needed to get FB running on TinyCore.

Freebasic needs compiletc.tcz and ncurses-dev.tcz as dependencies.
Aside from that there is a binary 'fbc' a few library files and a number of header files.
If all these are in the right locations in /usr/local, it just works.

The faulty .tcz runs the freebasic linux installer which unpacks a freebasic package of the needed files
The problem is that the startup script (needlessly) checks for the dependencies in the wrong place and fails silently before it gets to running the installer.  So nothing happens and there are no error messages.

A better approach is to repack the needed files as a .tcz which then does not need a startup script anyway.
I've tested this with FB 0.23 and FB 0.24 on TC 4.7.
The version of TC is not critical provided the C compiler is sufficiently advanced.
I believe FB 1.00 and FB 1.01 would also work without fuss.

I had planned to submit a FB .tcz but since there is little apparent interest in FB on the TC forums, the project is on the back burner.
I could provide more detail later if there is any interest.

Thanks , please submit the latest fb 1.00 - 1.02 and give me the process.
I'm clueless