WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: CorePure64-6.1.iso vs TinyCorePure64-6.1.iso  (Read 5887 times)

Offline Rava

CorePure64-6.1.iso vs TinyCorePure64-6.1.iso
« on: April 27, 2015, 07:57:42 PM »
What's the difference between CorePure64-6.1.iso and TinyCorePure64-6.1.iso ?

I looked on the Tiny64-Page, but found no info. Also, on the download page, no info either. Nor on http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/concepts.html or http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/faq.html, also searching the forum for "CorePure64-6.1.iso TinyCorePure64-6.1.iso" gave no result.

I am sure the info is to be found somewhere, and silly me just managed to miss it where it is to be found.
Cheers, yours Rava

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: CorePure64-6.1.iso vs TinyCorePure64-6.1.iso
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 09:38:07 PM »
Ref the welcome page (which could use an update):
It starts with a recent Linux kernel, vmlinuz 3.0, and a 5MB core.gz. MicroCore 8MB is simply the kernel + core.gz - this is the foundation for user created desktops, servers, or appliances. TinyCore is simply the kernel + core.gz + Xvesa.tcz|Xorg.tcz + Xprogs +fltk-1.10.tcz + (user's choice of Window Manager) + wbar.tcz

Corepure64 is analogous to MicroCore and TinyCorePure64 is analogous to Tinycore, except that it uses Xfbdev in place of Xvesa

Offline Rava

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:42:26 PM »
Corepure64 is analogous to MicroCore and TinyCorePure64 is analogous to Tinycore, except that it uses Xfbdev in place of Xvesa

Thanks for the heads up... but the naming, isn't it a bit "off"?
TinyCorePure64
TinyCore
That I get, but
Corepure64
MicroCore

???

The first just added or left out the Pure64 at the end, all the rest is the same, but not so with CorePure64 / MicroCore
To have the same linguistic logic here would make it Core / CorePure64 ... *shrug*
To be honest, that naming thing was the detail that got me confused.  :o ;)

(user's choice of Window Manager)
That could be read as if the TinyCorePure64 (and TinyCore) lacks an WM in itself, so that after boot the user has to download and choose an WM every time, when running the iso?
Is that really so? Or is there a default (minimal / failsafe) WM still part of the iso?
Cheers, yours Rava

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 10:48:31 PM »
the flwm window manager is part of the TinyCorePure64 iso

Offline Rava

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 11:14:25 PM »
^
Thought so, seeing the screenshots and such.  ;)

Anyhow, OT here, but I don't want to open a new more or less obsolete thread for just one question:
Where do I find HOWTO for install without booting tinycore?

With a running Linux, it should be able to extract the needed files from the ISO and copy them, as needed for TCE/Install?
Sure, http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/install.html explains it well, but like I said, I want to run it from the internal hard disk anyway, and one of my machines currently has no optical drives and I don't want to copy it to an USB thumb-drive if I can avoid it, since it should be put on the internal harddisk anyway...
And yet another machine, but that's no x86-64, has no optical drive as well, and needs to have the 32 bit version on it's internal harddisk as well...
Cheers, yours Rava

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 11:31:34 PM »
If you take a look at the CorePure64 iso, you can see from /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg what files are needed (corepure64.gz, vmlinuz64) and what your boot loader configuration file should look like - after that it's just a question of copying the files to your hd and modifiying your boot loader to suit.

Offline Rava

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 01:16:37 PM »
^
That's quite straightforward. The way I like Linux most! <B Thanks for the heads up!  :)

The above info / sentences really should be put into the install page as additional variant, and also mentioned in the wiki.

(But altered / expanded with: e.g. "in XY.iso, look into older/never ISO, things could have changed while this part of the howto / wiki can be outdated for another ISO, but most probably is still valid or older or never variants")

Also, me thinks better with a warning that this is a method meant for advanced Linux users who already know the ropes with CLI and already have installed and worked with several other Linux.

Would you agree with my above notions?
Cheers, yours Rava

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 10:40:17 PM »
The welcome page has been updated slightly - please feel free to make changes to the wiki.