WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Core v6.2rc2  (Read 19974 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Core v6.2rc2
« on: April 25, 2015, 11:42:39 PM »
Team Tiny Core is pleased to announce that Tiny Core 6.2 rc2 is available for public testing:

http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86/release_candidates/
http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86_64/release_candidates/

This is a release candidate. If you decide to help test, then please test carefully. We don't want anyone to lose data.

We appreciate testing and feedback.

Changelog for 6.2 rc2:
* tce-audit: similar speedup patch from aswjh
* tc-config: nfs4 mount changes from gerald_clark
* tce-load: 2% speedup from aswjh

Changelog for 6.2 rc1:
* tce-size: apply patch from Greg Erskine for no-deps files
* tce-remove, rc.shutdown: update copy2fs name
* tce-ab: convert to a symlink
* tce-load: awk recursion changes changed to a subshell, so exit status needs to be passed
* tce-setup: wait for slow CD drives

Offline meo

Re: Core v6.2rc2
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 03:54:52 AM »
Hi Juanito!

Will try ASAP. On a train at the moment trying out the last debian Jessie KDE. Works fine by the way.

Keep up the good work,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline hal9king

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 11:23:08 AM »
Newbie question here:

I first tried the 64 bit versions CorePure and TinyCorePure 6.2rc2 and discovered an odd behavior -- due to my ignorance.
   Both spit out a long list of basic command errors -- on 'cp' 'chown' ... etc. and then halted with not being able to find 'fluxbox'

Turns out it was trying to load my hard drive installed version of the home directory (defaults to fluxbox).  i gather this is the
   normal default behavior.  Problem was my current hard drive install uses 32 bit..   Purpose of the test to me was to see about
   moving to 64 bi version.

So how do I test a 64 bit release candidate??   My kludge was to come up in another OS and rename the tce/ directory -- worked
   but is there a better way???

In science, we know ... what we don't know.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 11:27:22 AM »
Home shouldn't matter since you should not be installing any binaries there.
You need to have a separate tce directory though.

Offline hal9king

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 11:38:51 AM »
Not true.   The purpose of the system is to test and write new programs .. its a continuing ongoing activity.
There is no practical way to isolate the code that way -- not in early stages.  Once finalized its different.

This issue doesn't arrive except in this odd case of dual use of a 64 bit system running 32 bit as well.

I'll give it some thought.  I do a a kludge for the moment.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »
Just do your development in another directory on your hard drive, not /home/tc.

Offline hal9king

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 12:01:16 PM »
A thought -- but part of the testing requires setting up the environment -- which is started by the window manager.

Hummm ... I do have both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of the binaries, guess i could test for error and re-point to the proper
'bin' .. that might work.  I think I'll give it a try.

Offline hal9king

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 12:37:44 PM »
Turns out I already had a general purpose 'make' facility for either 32 or 64 and with TC it doesn't take that long to re-compile.

So I simply, run the make at every new startup -- problem solved.

Offline nitram

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 06:51:40 PM »
Thanks all for the new RC.

Just upgraded and have some feedback. Please note these items bugged me for a while and are not specifically related to v6.2rc2.

- Apps > Maintenance > Md5 Checking: Many users probably check their entire install, not just select extensions. Would be great if there was a select all checkbox and any problematic md5 checks were flagged in red or yellow text, rather than scrolling a long list of black and white OKs.

- Dependencies > Update .dep files: Painfully slow to update. Takes ~10 minutes to complete while Apps window blanks with hourglass cursor. Shouldn't this be completed within a few seconds or a minute? Conky shows <10% CPU usage (800MHz system), some network activity, good wired DSL connection, not performing any background tasks and system otherwise runs great. Optional folder has 409 files/120MB and OnDemand list 10 items. Apps window usually redraws itself when completed, otherwise Alt-Tab between applications redraws Apps window contents.

- Dependencies > Update .dep files: In addition to above, no dialogue output is provided upon completion, such as 'Dependencies check completed'.

- Dependencies > Build Reporting Database: Completes very quickly - did it do anything? Similar to above, no dialogue output is provided upon completion, such as 'Reporting Database Built'.

- Dependencies > Missing Dependencies Reporting: Also provides no dialogue output upon completion. Odd as Dependencies > Fetch Missing Dependencies ouputs 'Dependency check completed. No missing dependencies found'.

Thanks - take care.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 10:16:19 PM »
Thanks all for the new RC.

Just upgraded and have some feedback. Please note these items bugged me for a while and are not specifically related to v6.2rc2.

- Apps > Maintenance > Md5 Checking: Many users probably check their entire install, not just select extensions. Would be great if there was a select all checkbox and any problematic md5 checks were flagged in red or yellow text, rather than scrolling a long list of black and white OKs.
For the longest time I too was doing this all wrong :(   You are supposed to highlight any and/or all items to check

- Dependencies > Missing Dependencies Reporting: Also provides no dialogue output upon completion. Odd as Dependencies > Fetch Missing Dependencies ouputs 'Dependency check completed. No missing dependencies found'.
AFAIK It has always been this way,  "Missing Dependencies Reporting" only reports if there are missing dep's. 

Offline nitram

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 10:44:28 PM »
Thanks for the response coreplayer2.
For the longest time I too was doing this all wrong :(   You are supposed to highlight any and/or all items to check
I am aware of this thanks. The current system is, however, cumbersome when selecting all from a long scroll list. I am just suggesting an easier method to 'select all', which could be a select all checkbox, Ctrl-a keyboard shortcut or right-click 'select all' option.
AFAIK It has always been this way,  "Missing Dependencies Reporting" only reports if there are missing dep's. 
That doesn't mean the functionality shouldn't be enhanced. You're an experienced user and i'm looking at it with fresh eyes from a new user perspective. Apps inconsistent message output (and lack of) to a new user appears unpolished or worse yet broken.

To reiterate the example cited above:
Why should Missing Dependencies Reporting output nothing, especially since it's supposed to be reporting something, but Fetch Missing Dependencies ouput a completion message. Consistency would be appreciated from a new user trying to figure out the system.

Edit: Or maybe these two categories could be combined into one - 'check and fetch missing dependencies', although this would likely require more work under the hood. Is there ever a valid use case just to check but NOT install a missing dependency?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 10:57:47 PM by nitram »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 10:57:43 PM »
My kludge was to come up in another OS and rename the tce/ directory -- worked
   but is there a better way?

You can use two directories - /tce and /tce64 for example - and switch between them with the "tce" boot code.

Offline meo

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 03:35:43 AM »
Hello guys!

Back home and have made a thorough test of this cut of TC (32 bit X version) including compiling the go language and all I have to say is; WELL DONE!  ;)

Sincere Regards,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 06:45:46 AM »
Edit: Or maybe these two categories could be combined into one - 'check and fetch missing dependencies', although this would likely require more work under the hood. Is there ever a valid use case just to check but NOT install a missing dependency?

I think that's a bad idea if for some reason someone doesn't want a particular extension updated.

Offline beerstein

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 02:01:46 AM »
downloaded the Core Plus v6.2rc2 version and used live cd with AMD Phenom 64. Booted OK. Installed Firefox 21.X from repo. After install on boot all icons from wbar  disappeared. After clicking control panel and wbar apply icons came back.
Same happened when I installed the next extension.
VLC media player still crashes due to missing dependency: libiconv.tcz. It still needs to be downloaded from the V5.X repo and put into /tce/optional
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question