Tiny Core Base > TCB Talk

initrd

(1/2) > >>

icbrainy:
howdy guys,

I have been trying for a while to make a custom ramdisk image for vmlinuz to load. So far I can get the kernel to detect GZIP presence but I cannot get any further due to this:

RAMDISK: zgip image found at block 0
List of all partitions:
0b00  1048575 sr0 driver: sr
No filesystem could mount root, tried: ext3 ext2 ext4 cramfs vfat iso9660 fuseblk
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)
Kernel Offser: 0x0 from 0xc0100000 (relocation range: 0xc0000000-0xe07fffff)

My image is a CPIO inside a GZIP and was built with the Windows version of gnuwin32 CPIO utility (http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/cpio.htm). It has caught my eye that my CPIO archive's "Host OS" trait, according to 7-zip when viewing, says "FAT" instead of Unix in the official gz file featured in the official downloads on the TCL front page.

Does anybody know what I might be doing wrong?

If anyone needs it for diagnostics, my isolinux.cfg is:

PROMPT 0
NOESCAPE 1
DEFAULT n
LABEL n
KERNEL kernel
APPEND initrd=image

(I am a beginner at this so I apologise for my naivity. Also I don't have any Linux machines of my own so any linux-exclusive things are not possible on my end.)

gerald_clark:
Follow the instructions in the wiki.

curaga:
You really shouldn't use Windows for such things. You'll break permissions, line endings...

If you can't use TC live (cd or usb), use a virtual machine.

icbrainy:

--- Quote from: curaga on April 13, 2015, 12:25:51 AM ---You really shouldn't use Windows for such things. You'll break permissions, line endings...

If you can't use TC live (cd or usb), use a virtual machine.

--- End quote ---
So...What I need to do is replicate the file system within a live Linux OS environment with a single folder acting as the filesystem root, applying the relevant permissions, then run it though "makecpio" or something to make the final file?

curaga:
Better to create it in Linux in the first place, trying to patch up permissions is bound to miss some.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version