WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: miracast  (Read 2883 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
miracast
« on: April 05, 2015, 07:57:06 PM »
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/miracle/libwfd/

does anybody have any experience of this or similar.

Since, for example, if you had a high end phone and installed Linux on it hopefully this would
then beam that over to a large TV screen.

V

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: miracast
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 11:47:34 PM »
I've been having a conversation with intel about trying to make my laptop WiDi work with my TV under Win7-64bit

Basically it streams HD video perfectly for 3-5mins and then stops without error messages. Intel say this is because the TV uses Miracast and that I should update to Win8.1, which apparently better supports Miracast.

Intel also say they do not support WiDi on linux.

Still, your link looks interesting.

I also note that blueman on corepure64 finds the TV and labels it as a "wireless display", so there's maybe something there to investigate as well although it's hard to imagine that bluetooth has the required bandwidth.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 11:56:07 PM »
I just read a little more on libwfd and miraclecast - it requires systemd...

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 07:44:30 AM »
right Juanito...

i first looked into Miracast on Linux about 6 months ago...+....because i couldn't see that the mass consumed distro's had it  (ubuntu).

I am not sure if ubuntu now has something in it's repo for Miracast. But it certainly should by now.

I was unsure, if when running an android device, with has Linux running in parallel (chroot linux) that the androids own miracast would carry over the Linux desktop to large screen. I think it probably would.

ye....just checking now about chroot

V