WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: chromebooks  (Read 9169 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
chromebooks
« on: April 03, 2015, 03:18:34 PM »
Hi

i wonder if this build will work on a rockchip rk3288 Chromebook?

i see that just about any linux build for ARM can go on the books using SeaBIOS and the tutorials
are simple and all over the web...such as Bodhi Linux etc.

Is your arm build compatable with an Arm A17 core chip?

Vince.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
Re: chromebooks
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 06:08:55 AM »
it seems to say that A17 uses Armv7 which is matching tcl's Arm version....hmm

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 06:19:46 AM »
reason for this thread is my interest in the newer cheap Chromebook laptops at just 99 dollars for an 11.6 inch screen and the rk3288 quad core 2ghz cpu with quad core Mali t450 GPU and 2gb ram etc. HD screen etc

These new laptops are appearing on amazon and places by big brand names.  (hope mentioning this is not a problem)

Threads on the web show how easy it is to install any Arm linux to these Chromebooks via SeaBIOS
and also even easier via free "Crouton" script.  This gives you a Chromebook running Chrome OS and Linux at the same time..... and at native speed. Also you can run any Android apps with the free Chrome browser extension called "Arc welder".

Makes these really nice cheap laptops

Vin

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 06:21:38 AM by cast-fish »

Offline Zendrael

• Zendrael's home of projects
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 12:19:08 PM »
Hi!

I was a Chromebook (ARM) owner and the "run Linux and ChromeOS together" is just run another DE in a chroot environment BUT both DEs are using the same kernel and structure.

Maybe (MAYBE) you could run Core on it, but as Core is not a "usual" distro and does stuff in a (good) different way, maybe you will end up loosing the ChromeOS DE and default (not web) apps.