WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: GTK application on TC : the content of the window is not updated  (Read 5794 times)

Offline philippefoubert

GTK application on TC : the content of the window is not updated
« on: September 08, 2014, 02:59:10 PM »
Hi,

I have installed GTK (gtk3-dev.tcz) on my TC VM (i am using VMware player) and compiled a basic GUI application (the very basic application "cpp-example-drawing" provided with OpenCV to be more precise).

The application is usually working without any special effort on other Linux OS (that's why i use it to check my installation) but, here, the content of the window remains completely gray.

Do i have something to adjust in my Xvesa resolution settings ?

Thx,
  Philippe.

Offline Zill

Re: GTK application on TC : the content of the window is not updated
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 06:48:00 AM »
I had the same problem.  I never understood why, but it seemed like it didn't like the default color depth so i changed it to 16 bit.  I got it to work by using the bootcode "xvesa=1280x1024x16", but you can use whatever resolution you want.

Offline philippefoubert

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 04:49:05 AM »
Thx for your answer Zill.

I have seen your post (in August) on the same subject. I think too that it has something to do with xvesa but in my case your solution is not working (even with a lower resolution)... i am running short of ideas... Were you also on a virtual machine?

Philippe.

Offline Zill

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 09:10:26 AM »
Yes, I was using VirtualBox. I wish I could give you more ideas, but I'm not too experienced with Linux in general.  The only reason I even changed the color depth in the first place is because I ran out of ideas that made sense to me and just started changing random things.

Offline philippefoubert

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 02:42:18 PM »
Thx Zill for your reply.

I had first tried to build a VMWare image from the Tiny Core iso but have not been able to solve this issue. Then, i have tried to build it from the Core Plus iso but the problem is still present.

After many hours spent, i have decided to give up... The Tiny Core Linux seems great but i have not been able to find a solution to this problem. I really need to be able to use GTK on my image. It's sad but i have lost too much time. I'll go back to a distribution heavier but which i know better...  :(

Offline Zill

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:30:54 AM »
I realize this may be a little late, but I was curious as to what code from OpenCV you were using.  Here is another simple drawing program that you could try: https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/ch01s03.html

Offline philippefoubert

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 08:12:28 AM »
Thx Zill, i'll try it this evening.

The code i was using is available at "https://github.com/Itseez/opencv/blob/master/samples/cpp/drawing.cpp" (OpenCV git repository, branch master).  It is using GTK+ but not directly (since it calls functions from the "highgui" module of OpenCV). I have used this code without any problem on Windows (XP 32 bits, Seven 64 bits, ...) and on Fedora (from Fedora 10 32 bits to Fedora 20 64 bits).

Offline philippefoubert

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:09:17 PM »
Zill, i have tested with your example and got the same behavior : the content of the window remains completely gray.