WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Wifi SUDDENLY craps on boot  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Scampada

Wifi SUDDENLY craps on boot
« on: March 31, 2015, 02:46:57 AM »
You know, I like Webber's 'Jesus Christ Superstar' musical, and in my opinion the songs 'What's the Buzz' and 'Strange Thing Mystifying' are kind of hymn of linux user, yeah.

Look: I got wifi.tcz and all its dependencies installed onboot for few days and all was working good.
Yesterday, I downloaded (ondemand) plenty of new packets like compiletc, SDL-dev, SDL2-dev, sdl-sound-dev, libvorbis-dev. Then I tried to compile a player and got stuck into some missing dependence. So I decide to run tce-ab and look for it. It didn't do and I realized I hadn't connect to AP. So I ran 'sudo wifi.sh' as usual and got 'No wifi devices found!' after a while.
"You don't say?" said I and tried again, still no effect. Then I rebooted to get the same crap. Then I rebooted as 'base' and installed wifi.tcz from my modues backup folder on other drive. It worked as a charm. Then I rebooted as usual and got that crap 'No wifi devices found!' again.
After that, I compared both (backup) /mnt/sda5/bootimages/tinycore/modules/wifi.tcz and (default) /mnt/sda9/tinycore/tce/optional/wifi.tcz. Both had same size, but backup version was owned by root:root and had -r--rw-r-- while default one was owned by tc:staff and had -rw-rw-r--.
It ended just when I replaced wifi.tcz and its main dependencies in default folder from the backup, preserving its root ownage.

But, I still can't get into it, what could possibly affect the original tcz? It worked since sort of Friday. It had same size. No onboot.lst changes were made. Dunno... I thought no one tcz or its actions could have influence on another. Still...
The winning entries in UNIX users' hymns competition were 'What's the buzz, tell me what's happening' and 'Strange Thing Mystifying' songs from A.L.Webber's musical.

Tiny Core Linux. Like Gentoo, except Gentoo is easier.

Offline Scampada

Re: Wifi SUDDENLY craps on boot
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 02:55:28 AM »
It can be explained maybe... Don't know if it accounts, but before that strange behavior I had my main tty stuck (pressed Ctrl+d accidentally and it jammed). Then I couldn't reboot from other VTs, I did 'sudo reboot' and nothing happened, so I had to press the power button... I didn't remember if I unmounted all the partition before that... Think I'd tried and something more went wild and jammed... Yes, I do think so... So, maybe my partition with TC wasn't unmounted properly and data loss occured... Still it hadn't affected something else, apparently.
The winning entries in UNIX users' hymns competition were 'What's the buzz, tell me what's happening' and 'Strange Thing Mystifying' songs from A.L.Webber's musical.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:16:49 AM »
To possibly prevent data corruption if system hangs and reboot is needed, try this:
Code: [Select]
#### Kernel SysRq
## un-raw kybd:   ALT+SysRq + R
## sigterm all:   ALT+SysRq + E
## sigkill all:   ALT+SysRq + I
## sync all fs:   ALT+SysRq + S
## re-mount ro:   ALT+SysRq + U
## reboot hard:   ALT+SysRq + B
###

That is, while holding [ALT] + [SysReq / Print] keys, press each of above in order (R,E,I,S,U,B) with a delay of two or more seconds in between.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 10:48:59 AM »
I luv this

Raising
Elephants
Is
So
Utterly
Boring

FYI  remember to wait a few seconds between each letter

And wifi.tcz is normally tc:staff but I think it depends on the storage medium, otherwise is not an issue

try removing wifi.tcz from the onboot.lst to test
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:58:06 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Scampada

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 01:21:46 PM »
What for? I did. No gain. I solved the problem backuping old wifi.tcz and all its dependencies. Ownage did not matter. Nor did permissions. I'm convinced that after TC jammed and I pressed power button, there was some data loss in no wifi.tcz but in its dependencies, maybe of the files vanished completely from fs. So wifi.tcz was being installed every time and worked properly but another part of dependence tree wasn't and it couldn't evoke a response from physical device.

REISUB is a good advice; I'll keep it in mind as a useful command to work with TC, then.)))
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:24:35 PM by Scampada »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 04:40:36 PM »
REISUB is a good advice; I'll keep it in mind as a useful command to work with TC

This is common to all Linux distributions not just TC

Offline Scampada

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 12:02:20 AM »
REISUB is a good advice; I'll keep it in mind as a useful command to work with TC

This is common to all Linux distributions not just TC
It's common to all distros that make use of Linux kernel, yeah xD That was a sarcasm xD