WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: CLI freaking: wanna video\music in as much min-stic env as possible  (Read 17153 times)

Offline Scampada

Re: CLI freaking: wanna video\music in as much min-stic env as possible
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 11:32:29 AM »
During a fresh install i back up .xsession so it's easy to restore default settings if GUI breaks. Backing up the default onboot.lst is also a good idea.

For alsa on my system, alsa and alsa-config need to be loaded for sound to work.

To confirm what's loaded via CLI, use tce-status -i command.

I didn't want to do GUI install... Thought it'll be more complicated and encumbered... So... I just copied the files and boot them...
The winning entries in UNIX users' hymns competition were 'What's the buzz, tell me what's happening' and 'Strange Thing Mystifying' songs from A.L.Webber's musical.

Tiny Core Linux. Like Gentoo, except Gentoo is easier.

Offline nitram

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 11:46:42 AM »
Scampada wrote:
And now I HAVE NO GUI! And can't make any use of Apps or something. It boot's right into CLI.
and later wrote:
I didn't want to do GUI install...
Hmmm...what could have possibly led me to believe your GUI was broken? Just trying to provide a way to fix things. When you mess with Xvesa and fbdev the .xsession file gets overwritten. If you don't want GUI great, but you may want to be a little more precise with your reporting. 'And now I HAVE NO GUI!' to most would imply something broke!

onboot.lst

Xvesa.tcz
    Xlibs.tcz
    Xfbdev.tcz
    wifi.tcz
    alsa.tcz
    links.tcz
    mplayer.tcz

I've tried all as I was advised and still got nothing.
No you didn't. As was already mentioned twice in this thread, also try loading alsa-config.

This isn't a foot race, stop and breath and read a bit. For newcomers setting up TC is not a 5 minute project. Also read through the manual when you get a chance. It's not a typical distribution.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 11:49:34 AM »
You also need
Xprogs.tcz
aterm.tcz
flwm_topside.tcz ( or some other window manager )

and probably
wbar.tcz

Offline Scampada

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 12:07:26 PM »
Scampada wrote:
And now I HAVE NO GUI! And can't make any use of Apps or something. It boot's right into CLI.
and later wrote:
I didn't want to do GUI install...
Hmmm...what could have possibly led me to believe your GUI was broken? Just trying to provide a way to fix things. When you mess with Xvesa and fbdev the .xsession file gets overwritten. If you don't want GUI great, but you may want to be a little more precise with your reporting. 'And now I HAVE NO GUI!' to most would imply something broke!
Yeah, got it))) indeed, perhaps it was poor wording. I HAVE NO GUI AND I HAVE NO NEED IN IT! I have openSUSE + KDE4 for fancy-shmancy GUI. :)

No you didn't. As was already mentioned twice in this thread, also try loading alsa-config.

This isn't a foot race, stop and breath and read a bit. For newcomers setting up TC is not a 5 minute project. Also read through the manual when you get a chance. It's not a typical distribution.
Ah, well. But doesn't alsa.tcz depend on alsa-config and install it automatically? Hmmm... I checked in the alsa.tcz.dep, it doesn't.
The winning entries in UNIX users' hymns competition were 'What's the buzz, tell me what's happening' and 'Strange Thing Mystifying' songs from A.L.Webber's musical.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 12:08:37 PM »
You also need
Xprogs.tcz
aterm.tcz
flwm_topside.tcz ( or some other window manager )

and probably
wbar.tcz
Do I need it for working in CLI-only mode? I mean, if I install them, won't it boot right into GUI? OK, I'll try and see.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 12:13:54 PM »
Well, if you are not running X then why do you load Xlibs, Xvesa and Xfbdev ?

I suggest you spend some time reading the book and the wiki.
Random extension loading is not going to work well for you.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »
Well, if you are not running X then why do you load Xlibs, Xvesa and Xfbdev ?

I suggest you spend some time reading the book and the wiki.
Random extension loading is not going to work well for you.
Umm... I don't know. I have read that if I wanna use framebuffer features in Mplayer and Links I kind of must install Xfbdev.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 12:28:42 PM »
But what should I read in the Wiki, I can't even find something like 'frame buffer' article.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 12:31:46 PM »
My .xsession is not rewritten because I still have no /home directory working in proper way. I use boot code -home=LABEL="grub"/tinycore/home but it gives me an error like "Wrong disk" and continue booting without HOME

Offline Misalf

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 12:36:38 PM »
- You cannot setup a sub-directory to be home. You can only specify a drive.

- alsa.tcz does not depend on alsa-config.tcz, but alsa-config.tcz depends on alsa.tcz.
You can edit your  onboot.lst  to load  alsa-config.tcz  instead of  alsa.tcz .

- I use boot code  vga=789  which is working fine.
However, I also use this in my  extlinux.conf :
Code: [Select]
MENU RESOLUTION 1024 600

While processing/loading extensions at boot, the resolution gets reset (to the same value).
I don't know which extension is causing this. Anyway, I don't think any extra extensions are needed for the framebuffer to be used in CLI. You can remove  Xvesa.tcz ,  Xlibs.tcz  and  Xfbdev.tcz  from your  onboot.lst  file.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline Scampada

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 12:46:47 PM »
- You cannot setup a sub-directory to be home. You can only specify a drive.
I'll try. 'A drive' means I can do -home=sda9 or exactly -home=sda? I couldn't undestand it clearly in FAQ.

I don't know which extension is causing this. Anyway, I don't think any extra extensions are needed for the framebuffer to be used in CLI. You can remove  Xvesa.tcz ,  Xlibs.tcz  and  Xfbdev.tcz  from your  onboot.lst  file.
OK, but with pure core it won't work too for me.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
Hmm.. I wonder if  graphics-KERNEL.tcz  is needed for MPlayer (?).

Offline Scampada

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 01:34:48 PM »
Alsa-config worked so now I can hear a sound track in avi. If I type mplayer -vo fbdev file.avi it goes fine (sound only), if I do mplayer without -vo fbdev it starts lagging and croaking (with still no video), and then I press '->', and rewind it, and mplayer shows me that my computer is too slow and starts playing sound track normally but not from the beginning. Okay, maybe I should go on trying to deal with fbdev.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2015, 02:07:59 PM »
I had big performance problems with MPlayer too. So, for personal use, I compiled it from source and made sure it included MMX and SSE instructions, which are not present in the build available from the 6.x repo.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 02:16:48 PM »
I had big performance problems with MPlayer too. So, for personal use, I compiled it from source and made sure it included MMX and SSE instructions, which are not present in the version available in the 6.x repo.
In that case I believe it only depends on proper use of fbdev and correct video output, for it may not be able to synchronize both tracks correctly when not playing one of them or something.

Graphics-KERNEL.tcz (?)
You're quite right, dear sir. After installing that mplayer made an effort to start playing video but I didn't set the size for video output so it crashed. I don't know nothing of which size do I choose, now I gotta google.

But, to return to what Misalf was saying, what the source building process looks like in TC? What should I do to preserve all built and installed options, configs and libraries after reboot? Must I compile it and pack as tcz extension?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:25:19 PM by Scampada »