WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: CLI freaking: wanna video\music in as much min-stic env as possible  (Read 16908 times)

Offline Scampada

Re: CLI freaking: wanna video\music in as much min-stic env as possible
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2015, 01:31:42 PM »
Before I reboot: is it ok to create a symlink /sda5/home -> /sda5/tinycore/home and pass home=sda5 to kernel?
I want to keep all tc files into tinycore folder... wouldn't like to scatter all those folders...
It's okay, yeah. I also created links in my /home to big video and music folders on other drives. /home and /opt point to /tinycore/home and /tinycore/opt, respectively. Won't have to deal with a whole bunch of folders later, being able to just move one /tinycore. Nice.
So okay, now I gotta make my mplayer work properly, probably got to read some else threads reporting similar problems...

However, I feel that mine [problem] concerns my colorspace; maybe framebuffer's colorspace is different from those are expected by mplayer or by video format?
Here's my fbset output, matching the /etc/fb.modes contents.

mode "1024x600-0"
        # D: 0.000 MHz, H: 0.000 kHz, V: 0.000 Hz
        geometry 1024 600 1024 600 32
        timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
        accel true
        rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0
endmode

And here is the video I'm trying to play. It's old, and it's 640x360 of size.
(More modern-looking one I'm trying to play works quite nice -- an .avi movie somewhat of that size too. But it also rejects playing fullscreen... And the clip won't even start playing, ever. Only, if I do -vo null, it plays music, normally.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rrsj_auEKs
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 01:35:17 PM by Scampada »
The winning entries in UNIX users' hymns competition were 'What's the buzz, tell me what's happening' and 'Strange Thing Mystifying' songs from A.L.Webber's musical.

Tiny Core Linux. Like Gentoo, except Gentoo is easier.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2015, 02:18:14 AM »
I know you don't want X in the mix, but having our lightweight Xvesa or Xfbdev in between will help with those colorspace and fullscreen issues.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2015, 04:29:41 AM »
I know you don't want X in the mix, but having our lightweight Xvesa or Xfbdev in between will help with those colorspace and fullscreen issues.
I'll try. I had them installed two days ago but someone had told me I need not them. Someone else even told that he could play video with no even graphics.KERNEL, using only alsa-config and mplayer in onboot.lst, but I could never do the same, I mean, make my mplayer work with fbdev without graphics.tcz.
The winning entries in UNIX users' hymns competition were 'What's the buzz, tell me what's happening' and 'Strange Thing Mystifying' songs from A.L.Webber's musical.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2015, 04:41:05 AM »
Setting Xfbdev didn't help. Nothing changed. Now'll try Xvesa but with a small hope.
It appears I even have some libX libraries, including libX11 and like. I don't know what could dependence-chain them and will investigate it later to purge them if they're not required.
I wonder if I could set up a VM with the same environment in openSUSE and record a video of what's happening? Or maybe I can record a video from CLI, some kind of one more framebuffer trick?

Xvesa didn't help. Is it possible my system lacks some kind of codecs? Even in openSUSE, after fresh install, when I set vlc up it won't play some videos claiming it has no codecs. Does mplayer.tcz contain them all?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:48:19 AM by Scampada »

Offline Scampada

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2015, 05:35:59 AM »
I didn't know where to post it, it's not good to overburden the topic with non-related posts but, I just wanted to say, in the repo there are either Links with no cookies and no tabs or ELinks with cookies and tabs but with no SSL support (so no https connections). :\
I wonder if I can build that one with ssl-enable... Have to read 'Build FAQ'... If I build it with all compatibility options required it may even be uploaded to repo... Maybe someone else needs ELinks features including SSL, too...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 05:37:51 AM by Scampada »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2015, 06:01:37 AM »
Contact the author of that package for update requests.  Do not update packages without permission unless the author as abandoned the package.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2015, 11:37:05 AM »
Things became a little clearer to me, my CLI seems to be not using framebuffer at all. Look, I do "cp /dev/fb0 test.img" and "cp test.img /dev/fb0" and nothing happens! However I checked the image size it's 2457600, that is, it doesn't fail copying from framebuffer to it, the image contains some data. But when I try to restore it to fb, my screen remains intact. I even tried "cat /dev/urandom > /dev/fb0" with no visible effect! So maybe it doesn't use fb0 at all somehow, that's why I might not be able to play videos in fullscreen with mplayer and all these errors, eh?

[TIP] When I had not graphics.KERNEL yet installed and worked in pure 80x25, this joke with flooding fb0 with urandom worked. :D

So?... *hmmm*

Offline Scampada

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2015, 11:54:06 AM »
, Well, I... OH SHI- was trying to do that job to fb again... ahem... I'm not sure it will loook okay on forum... I see just strange things mystifying, if I'd say... But surely this was a visible effect!!!
Still, when I was playing with it earlier, cat-ting urandom to fb0 led to appearing of rgb noise on my screen. And now it was a flood of strange mystifying symbols.

UPD: Yeah, I give up. Now I repeated it again and here it is -- an rgb noise on the screen. But- but- it was all the same-
UPD2: I was able to restore my old buffer state from an image file. Well, okay, but what for did you mislead me, dear framebuffer? What was all these bug-looking symbols (Dozens...) about?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:09:25 PM by Scampada »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2015, 12:12:14 PM »
post the output of 'showbootcodes' and the contents of your onboot.lst.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »
post the output of 'showbootcodes' and the contents of your onboot.lst.
Hai.
1. BOOT_IMAGE=/tinycore/vmlinuz tce=LABEL=grub/tinycore/tce home=sda9 opt=sda9 quiet

wifi.tcz
links.tcz
mplayer.tcz
alsa-config.tcz
graphics-3.16.6-tinycore.tcz
kmaps.tcz
nethack.tcz (complains of not finding some X lib and doesn't start working)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2015, 12:46:12 PM »
As was explained on page one of this thread, you need a vga=788 ( or some other valid vesa mode )  boot code to setup the frame buffer.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2015, 01:10:59 PM »
As was explained on page one of this thread, you need a vga=788 ( or some other valid vesa mode )  boot code to setup the frame buffer.

I've tried. Then it had no effect but it may be before I installed graphics.tcz. I'll try again. Over

But, there is some kind of framebuffer stuff... One of the two video files plays normally but in the centre of console, between all those command outputs and all... Won't go fullscreen... And I can save and restore the screen state through fb0... So framebuffer is kinda set, eh? Well, okay, I'll do as you said.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 01:23:45 PM by Scampada »

Offline Scampada

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2015, 02:59:30 PM »
It worked for fullscreen. The first video still won't play, but I believed it was due to some format incompatibility. I set up ffmpeg and converted it from avi to avi (in the purpose of making it more UP-TO-DATE avi). It didn't do, but struggled harder, so I converted it to mpeg and it was working and over at last (well, not ideally but it's my business for now. Some kind of old-crap-issue). Still don't understand why did not it work earlier for I tried this vga= option. Maybe I misprinted then or something. By the way, after the vga option worked I could see two small pictures presenting 'Tiny Core' in the upper left corner for a fraction of second. Then there was all that 'loading' strings. Why did it disappear so quickly and why were there two of them and just so small?

For a post scriptum: it's a pity that ffmpeg dep-chains so many of some X libraries I won't need anymore and it won't as well. I mean, ffmpeg needs all those X libraries only in X environment, right?

I think my problem is over, except of some questions above.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 03:27:28 PM by Scampada »

Offline Misalf

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2015, 11:15:05 AM »
By the way, after the vga option worked I could see two small pictures presenting 'Tiny Core' in the upper left corner for a fraction of second.
That image is only displayed if framebuffer is used. (;

Why did it disappear so quickly [...]?
Core boots fast - and - when  /etc/init.d/tc-config  takes control, the screen gets cleared.
(I'd like it to stay visible too, actually, but don't know how to do)
You can disable it via boot code:
Code: [Select]
logo.nologo

[...] and why were there two of them [...]?
I think that indicates the number of processor cores (and/or multi-threading)

[...] and just so small?
Video resolution.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline Scampada

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2015, 01:10:51 PM »
Why did it disappear so quickly [...]?
Core boots fast - and - when  /etc/init.d/tc-config  takes control, the screen gets cleared.
(I'd like it to stay visible too, actually, but don't know how to do)
You can disable it via boot code:
Code: [Select]
logo.nologo
Well, maybe somewhere there in tc-config we could find that command clearing the picture and making output messages... For example it's surely possible to add one more boot code e.g. logo.stay or something, disabling all boot output in total.

[...] and why were there two of them [...]?
I think that indicates the number of processor cores (and/or multi-threading)

[...] and just so small?
Video resolution.
Okay, maybe. I've got two.
Yeah... but surely it's possible to make it go fs! ;)
Or not?..