Tiny Core Base > TCB Talk

netboot of tcl

(1/6) > >>

cast-fish:
Hello,

your wiki and info pages show examples of how to boot a diskless machine
from another sister machine in your home. Booting over LAN

after reading this is there something i am doing wrong?

does this method require a null modem cable?

thanks

V

gerald_clark:
How would we know if you are doing something wrong?
Null modem cable? What are you talking about?

You do have a PXE enabled X86, correct?

cast-fish:
uh Gerald....i am unsure

after reading the wiki went about trying to follow it...

the diskless laptop has the first boot device as "NIC" but the bios does not mention PXE anywhere...

The mother machine had that "terminal server" running and i followed all the defaults and linked the 2 machines to each other with a LAN cable

should each machine have it's own cable?.....cable A going from laptop to the router's first Lan socket (1)...
cable B from going the mother machine to the  router's second LAN socket? (2)....?

i only followed the wiki as far as 2 pages...i did not believe further reading of PXE was needed......

V

gerald_clark:
You have not provided any useful information.
The first part of the netboot article describes booting one Core machine using another Core machine as the server.

The "The following sections assume that you have working servers" section concerns more advanced PXE boot options that require a working PXE system
( Not necessarily Core based ).

cast-fish:
Yes Gerald

it's the first sectiojn i followed....booting a machine from a mother machine...i was reading those pages
about twice...it seemed simple and no further reading was needed beyond that

the diskless laptop indeed is fully PXE compliant....but i don't want a red herring here

i simply was trying to boot a diskless laptop..... from another TCL machine in the room...(i am unsure if PXE applies to that)

V

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version