WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Xfe updates  (Read 6282 times)

Offline a

Xfe updates
« on: March 08, 2015, 05:50:39 PM »
Please update xfe and related programs, like xfi, xfp, xfv (now xfw -r) and xfw, to this year's release 1.40: http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
Re: Xfe updates
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 08:01:19 PM »
+1

The very first item in the linked release notice:
  • natural sorting in file lists (thus file name '10-foo' comes after file name '2-foo'),

seems like a pretty horrible idea to me, so I hope it can be turned off somehow in the preferences - because with a few  bug fixes in place xfe would be a -really- nice fm.
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline a

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 06:46:05 AM »
[natural sorting in file lists (thus file name '10-foo' comes after file name '2-foo')] seems like a pretty horrible idea to me, so I hope it can be turned off somehow in the preferences

Let me hope for you then that it can be turned off, though I consider it an improvement. When Windows Explorer (I know, I know) got this, I thought to myself: finally!

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 07:38:15 AM »
There's no shame in using MS Windows... as long as it's not by choice.       ;)

And I do like Windows Explorer as an FM, though I liked the XP one better then the Win 7 one.  I dislike many of the default settings there, too, so maybe it's just me.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 09:37:40 AM »
I packed the current Xfe extension so I'll update it to the latest version.
I guess you're talking about TC 6.x, right?

Xfe is sometimes described as "Windows-like" file explorer. Not sure why exactly.
It's definitely my favorite. Maybe because I used to use windows.

@a, I don't know if you can send personal messages already with just 14 posts, but you can (or should?) send such a request to the current maintainer of the respective extension. Wich would be me, currently. (:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:40:24 AM by Misalf »
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 12:36:39 PM »
Thanks Misalf.

I'm in the process of moving up to TC 6.x but it will be a while before I leave 4.x completely behind - I can do as I want with my PC but my wife's is a different matter.    :)

If there aren't any big snags in the way, would you do the update for 4.x as well?

Offline Misalf

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 01:09:06 PM »
Possible, yes. I still have a 4.x installation here but didn't booted it in a while; not sure about it's condition.
I'll need you to test the extension then, Lee.

I've just finished compiling FOX & Xfe on 6.1. Seems like there is no option to change file sorting regarding the numbers thing.

Xfe starts way faster than before now, but that might be due to file fragmentation. Makes me think I should copy extensions of slow starting / responding programs in the upgrade dir, just to have them rewritten in the filesystem(?).

I might do the packaging (seperate tczs) and submit it tomorrow or so. Everything looks good but some testing won't harm.

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 04:59:12 PM »
Than you.

That was quick.  :)

I'll be happy to test on 4.x - and I'll take it for a spin on 6.x as well, of course.

Bummer about the sort thing, but it's certainly not a show stopper - it was the bugs that kept me from adopting the older version as my go-to file manager.  Of all the programs I use, the FM is one that I really need to have confidence in, and obvious bugs, even if they're seemingly insignificant, scare me away.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 02:39:23 AM »
Finally found some time to pack FOX and Xfe for Tiny Core 6.x. Sorry for the false advertizing of a short ETA. I just started a new job and other RL stuff is going on as well.

Extensions have been submitted and will probably appear in the repo in a few more days.

@ Lee, I will have to check for 4.x later. Sorry.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:41:12 AM by Misalf »

Offline nitram

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 08:59:37 AM »
Quick questions, sorry bit off topic.

Why are so many still using old TC versions - did TC4 have the largest software repository? Or based on stability or haven't had time to upgrade?

What dictates a major TC release (eg TC5 --> TC6) - major kernel upgrade, timeline, what?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 09:49:20 AM »
Some of the newer kernels drop support for some really old hardware, so the users stay on the older version.
The release announcements explain the changes.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 01:11:48 PM »
Each major release brings a new kernel, and occasionally other core upgrades (glibc, compiler, X).
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline nitram

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 08:01:03 PM »
Thanks for clarifying gerald_clark and curaga!

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 09:32:53 AM »
Thanks misalf.  I'll give it a spin on 6.x and 4.x can wait.

@ nitram, re. lingering with an older version., there are several possible reasons...

1. old hardware that is no longer supported
2. specific extensions that don't get migrated up from the previous version
3. users who don't want their system mucked with in any way
4. lack of a compelling reason to upgrade
5. just plain laziness

I suppose #2 and #4, at least for some, will be derived from # 5.

For me, I think I've finally beat #1 and, on my personal systems, #4 is irrelevant as the upgrade process is so easy.  But # 2 remains and probably will until I overcome #5 and start building extensions in an organized manner.

#3 is my biggie right now... my "problem user" needs to be kept happy and her system seems prone to mysterious breakage with even the simplest updates.  I don't even like to reboot that box (I'm using it right now and the uptime is 80.5 days) because I have to then check that everything still works.  This is the result of an impatient user wanting stuff to "just work" and it's an emergency and an impatient me saying "F(ooey on) it" and making it just work instead of following an organized plan.  I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned here, I just have to distill it out into its pure form.  :)

Offline nitram

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 07:20:45 PM »
@ nitram, re. lingering with an older version., there are several possible reasons...
Been away for a while. Thanks for posting. Suspected same but it's nice to get confirmation. Me too once i get something working just right - lazy, no compelling reason to upgrade, resistant to change...

Previously noticed quite a repository size disparity between TC6 vs the older versions, but i'm sure as TC6 matures the repository will continue to grow. Would be cool if tce/apps someday incorporates a feature to directly install software from old version repositories, similar to the Puppy (Linux) Package Manager.

my "problem user" needs to be kept happy...
You wouldn't by any chance be married to your 'problem user'?  :)