WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TC 6.0, gparted won't run - missing libxcb-dri3.so.o  (Read 2837 times)

Offline ClydeM

TC 6.0, gparted won't run - missing libxcb-dri3.so.o
« on: March 06, 2015, 07:23:18 PM »
Sorry to be a newbie. Just started with TC 6.0 (not Plus) CD, want to use gparted to view my various disks/partitions, so used Appbrowser to "Download + Load" gparted.tcz, then opened terminal to sudo gparted and get this error:

/usr/local/shin/gparted in: error while loading shared libraries: libxcb-dri3.so.o: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is there another app package I can install that will get me this missing lib? Failing that, how do I get that file from wherever it might exist on the Internet to the proper directory in my running TC 6.0 live CD?

Thanks!

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: TC 6.0, gparted won't run - missing libxcb-dri3.so.o
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 08:00:47 PM »
The provides tab in Apps will show you where the missing lib is to be found, but since it is already a dep, I suspect you need to use Apps to update deps and then fetch missing deps.

Offline ClydeM

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 08:46:12 PM »
The provides tab in Apps will show you where the missing lib is to be found, but since it is already a dep, I suspect you need to use Apps to update deps and then fetch missing deps.

Ok the provides tab shows me that libxcb-dri3.so.0 is to be found in libxcb.tcz. That's already installed. So I update deps and fetch missing deps - with no tcz highlighted, with gparted.tcz highlighted, and with libxcb.tcz highlighted. In all cases, it says no missing dependencies found. Dependency checking seems to only go as deep as .tcz packages, and doesn't include source files like this missing libxcb-dri3.o.0 file - right?

FWIW, as a newbie I have no idea if I'm doing this right - should I highlight (click on) a specific tcz file before I click update deps? And click fetch? Do I need to Build Reporting Database before doing any of this?

The "quick & easy" web page says the first thing I'll see when I boot TC and get to the gui is a file manager, but in this current version of TC, there isn't one (is that only in Plus?) so I download and load Xfe, but it won't run either - because of the same missing file, libxcb-dri3.o.0 (do Linux writers get a secret pleasure stumping newbies by mixing the letter o and the numeral 0 in file names?)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:02:22 PM by ClydeM »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 09:10:34 PM »
Could you use the apps gui to check for updates and see if it shows there is an update for libxcb?

Offline ClydeM

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 09:15:18 PM »
In Apps, I choose Maintenance/Check for Updates. It says "Please Standby... Now checking your extensions. Scan for updates completed." And nothing else.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 09:22:54 PM »
Hmm - there's something strange going on here...

Are you using Xvesa, Xfbdev or Xorg-7.7?

If you enter "tce-load -i libxcb" in a terminal window, does it state that it is already loaded?

Offline ClydeM

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 09:29:04 PM »
> Are you using Xvesa, Xfbdev or Xorg-7.7?

I think Xvesa. I didn't choose any of those, just booted the liveCD. My gpu is an old NVidia GeForce 5200 128Mb, my screen res is 1024x768x24.

> If you enter "tce-load -i libxcb" in a terminal window, does it state that it is already loaded?

Yes.

Offline ClydeM

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 09:48:45 PM »
FYI, I just tried TinyCore-6.1rc3 and was able to download, load and sudo run gparted with no problems! I'll stick with the release candidate until something in it goes wrong.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 10:03:16 PM »
I believe I know what the problem is - it should be fixed with the release of tc-6.1.