WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Missing dependency - libxcb-util.tcz - Can't install Enlightenment  (Read 2685 times)

Offline NinjaCowboy

I just installed Tiny Core 6.0 and was very glad to see that my favorite desktop environment Enlightenment 17 was in the repos. However, I am unable to install it due to a dependency problem. It requires the package libxcb-util.tcz which doesn't exist.
Code: [Select]
tc@box:~$ tce-load -wi enlightenment.tcz
Downloading: libxcb-util.tcz
Connecting to repo.tinycorelinux.net (89.22.99.37:80)
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
md5sum: libxcb-util.tcz.md5.txt: No such file or directory
Error on libxcb-util.tcz
tc@box:~$

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Missing dependency - libxcb-util.tcz - Can't install Enlightenment
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 01:26:33 PM »
libxcb-util does not exist in either C5 or C6.
Since its only dependency is libxcb, you should try downloading it and the dep file from the C4 repository.
Then if it works, report it in http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,15906.0.html

Offline jls

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 03:14:19 PM »
sorry NinjaCowboy, I was the manitainer of e17 in Core, but now I've moved to dCore, precisely I use e19 in ub-dCore-trusty with the bodhi repo, and I don't have anymore the time to maintain any of my extensions is Core.
For help in e19 read here, since I still have to prepare the deb2sce & the data thighs for e19 in ub-dCore-trusty: 
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,18135.0.html
the build scripts for all the "e" related stuff for Core can be found here:https://code.google.com/p/tc-ext-tools/source/browse/packages/e
but tc-ext-tools it self need to be updated in order to work in Core 5/6 .
dCore user

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 02:37:10 AM »
If we're speaking of libxcb-util.so, this is in the libxcb extension, so only the relevant dep file(s) would need adjusting.

Maybe you could adjust your dep file locally, test and report back?

Offline NinjaCowboy

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 07:41:08 AM »
If we're speaking of libxcb-util.so, this is in the libxcb extension, so only the relevant dep file(s) would need adjusting.
By that, do you mean that the files and libraries in libxcb-util were merged into the current libxcb.tcz package?

I tried transplanting some packages from Core 5.x and 4.x into my system, but I got frustrated and couldn't to get it to work yet. There are quite a few other missing packages and a version conflict with libgcrypt (It expects the one from Core 5.x). I'm really not a fan of mixing package versions, so I'll try building from source against the current Core 6.x libraries and see if I can create a working tcz package.

That being said, I think packages should only be included in the repository if they've been tested as installable and working. Including old, broken packages just annoys people.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 09:21:13 AM »
By that, do you mean that the files and libraries in libxcb-util were merged into the current libxcb.tcz package?
Yes

That being said, I think packages should only be included in the repository if they've been tested as installable and working. Including old, broken packages just annoys people.
Agreed, and that's what we try to do...

Offline NinjaCowboy

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 04:36:50 PM »
I tried and tried and couldn't get it to build. ./configure kept complaining about missing packages that I'd already installed, and I don't know how to get it to recognize them.
I've given up and decided that this OS is not usable enough for serious work. Perhaps I should install Windows Millennium Edition on my computer...

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 08:10:59 PM »
Did you install the relevant *-dev extensions?