WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Apps freezes or locks up when browsing extensions...  (Read 2265 times)

Offline nitram

Apps freezes or locks up when browsing extensions...
« on: February 27, 2015, 04:13:18 PM »
Running TC6.1rc1 and Xvesa v1.2, Apps browser occasionally freezes or locks up and fails to redraw screen. Didn't think much of it but it's happened at least a couple times in the last few brief sessions. Patiently waiting for Apps to recover doesn't work. Processor load is low, so maybe freezes? Xkill kills it and am able to restart Apps without rebooting, then functions normally again.

Unfortunately not able to reproduce or figure out the trigger. During last lockup, was simply browsing packages via Apps > cloud > browse, then single left clicking vertical scroll bar to browse down the list of available packages. Will update thread if obvious trigger noticed.

Note: This also occured before upgrading to Xvesa v1.2, so not likely the cause.

Screenshot attached.

Edit: Also not related to the repository utilized, eg. ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/ vs http.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:18:46 PM by nitram »

Offline Misalf

Re: Apps freezes or locks up when browsing extensions...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 04:27:25 PM »
I see this quite often when downloading or updating extensions. It's more of an cosmetic issue for me.
If the network connection failed somehow then you might think that Apps tool is hanging.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline nitram

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 04:41:59 PM »
@Misalf: Glad i'm not the only one. Not sure i would call a crashed application cosmetic, especially if a user is in the process of installing software. Have you noticed a specific trigger that consistently reproduces the problem?

Offline Misalf

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 05:26:49 PM »
I'm not sure if it actually is a problem or if Apps has even crashed when showing these display artifacts.
It may as well be a bad connection and Apps is waiting very long or even in vain for a response.
For me it usually comes back to live at some point.

Offline nitram

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 07:39:02 PM »
During one of the crashes, i left Apps alone for >5 minutes to see if it would recover, which didn't help. If you take a look at the screenshot i attached in the previous post, the entire content of the Apps screen disappears. It's not a minor artifact issue.

Do you notice your Apps issues when using Xorg or Xvesa?

What type of connection? My Apps problem occurs over wireless, although the internet is otherwise working just fine so not sure why Apps would be having a problem?

I will upgrade from rc1 to rc2 tonight and keep using the system to see how Apps performs. I have a wired desktop running TC but don't boot into it very often, but from recollection Apps never crashed over my wired - hmmm.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 06:32:59 AM »
Both, Xvesa as well as Xorg-7.7(-3d).
3G modem dial-up on a netbook.

Could busybox' wget cause this? It acted strange for me sometimes.
Maybe the GNU version (wget.tcz) performs more reliable.

Offline nitram

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 09:03:52 AM »
Thanks Misalf.

Ping shows reasonable wireless response. Upgraded to TC6.1rc2 yesterday. If Apps issue persists i will install wget.tcz and retest.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 09:41:56 AM »
We specifically patch busybox wget for a 10 second timeout to put a cap to slow network responses. GNU wget defaults to 900 seconds (15 min).

The next time it happens, please check your "ps aux" or "top" output if there are wget processes, and perhaps try killing them.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.