WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: SpaceFM  (Read 16315 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Re: SpaceFM
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 11:07:35 AM »
You'll find that best performance is achieved by leaving the theme field blank

I believe the missing icons on certain files is a separate issue and is at worst only cosmetic. I will try to resolve the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline emninger

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 11:25:41 AM »
Hi emninger
Code: [Select]
/home/tc/.gtkrc-2.0:17: error: unexpected character '/', expected string constant That indicates the error is on line 17 which reads:
include /home/tc/.gtkrc-2.0.mineIs it possible it should be:
include "/home/tc/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"

Hi Rich!

Excellent pointer! I changed as you proposed but now, i get this error:
/home/tc/.gtkrc-2.0.mine:6: error: scanner: digit is beyond radix
Any idea? (I'm totally clueless ;) )

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 01:12:57 PM »
Hi emninger
/home/tc/.gtkrc-2.0.mine:6: error: scanner: digit is beyond radixI'm guessing it doesn't like the dollar sign, plus it probably also needs the quotation marks, try:
# ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine - GTK+ theme, icon and font configuration.
#
# System files   : /usr/share/{themes,icons,fonts}
# Personal files : ~/.icons and ~/.fonts
#
include "~/.themes"
include "~/.icons"
include "~/.fonts"
include "~/.sounds"

Offline emninger

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 01:26:59 PM »
You'll find that best performance is achieved by leaving the theme field blank

I believe the missing icons on certain files is a separate issue and is at worst only cosmetic. I will try to resolve the issue ...

As for the theme, i'll try that. Btw, may be i found, why murrine-engine is missing: In Arch Linux (https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/gtk-engine-murrine/) i found, that
    mate-themes
    numix-themes
    deepin-gtk-theme (optional)
depend on murrine-engine.

And i had set mate-barve as icon theme.

For the icon problem, i agree that this is very likely a separate problem. But it's not cosmetic ... In some way spacefm does not recognize file types: May there should be settings for the mime types somewhere (i recall something like mime-types.lst or similar in ~ in debian)?

Offline emninger

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 01:42:03 PM »
Hi emninger
/home/tc/.gtkrc-2.0.mine:6: error: scanner: digit is beyond radixI'm guessing it doesn't like the dollar sign, plus it probably also needs the quotation marks, try:
# ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine - GTK+ theme, icon and font configuration.
#
# System files   : /usr/share/{themes,icons,fonts}
# Personal files : ~/.icons and ~/.fonts
#
include "~/.themes"
include "~/.icons"
include "~/.fonts"
include "~/.sounds"

You were perfectly right; only a small correction: gtk 2 does not like the tilde char as well. I had to use the directory:
include "/home/tc/.themes" etc. Thanks a lot!

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 01:51:04 PM »
Hi emninger
You were perfectly right; only a small correction: gtk 2 does not like the tilde char as well. ...

Well, I was guessing, which is not known for its accuracy. :)

Offline emninger

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
Hi coreplayer2!

I tried with pcmanfm; since it's a "cousin" of spacefm, thought it might be helpful to know if there the icon problem happens as well. But it does not: pcmanfm displays correctly the specific file types. But it's not a problem of the icon-theme. pcmanfm uses by default Nuove-XT (lxde-icon-theme.tcz). I left that and tried with spacefm, but it did not change anything.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 03:14:40 PM »
Hi emninger

I'm glad you found the culprit for your theme issue.  However I wouldn't use any theme even on a super computer, there will always be a performance hit. 

As for the icon issue...  I'm sure it's merely cosmetic, just my point of view and I've been using SpaceFM for a year or more on TC6 and earlier versions.  Whether a specific file type has an icon assigned to it or not, doesn't appear to effect any function afaik.  I mean if you assign a program to open script file once,  from then on that program will always open a .sh file

Meanwhile, check this out..   I opened my road warrior machine and found all the files had their respective icons assigned.

(click on the picture to enlarge)

Interesting huh..?

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 03:18:13 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline emninger

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2016, 10:28:57 PM »
... I'm glad you found the culprit for your theme issue.  However I wouldn't use any theme even on a super computer, there will always be a performance hit.

I understand your point, but personally i do not share it: I find a dark theme more eye friendly and that's an essential point - for me ;)

As for the icon issue...  I'm sure it's merely cosmetic, just my point of view and I've been using SpaceFM for a year or more on TC6 and earlier versions.  Whether a specific file type has an icon assigned to it or not, doesn't appear to effect any function afaik.  I mean if you assign a program to open script file once,  from then on that program will always open a .sh file

In  this sense, sure, it's only cosmetic. But i meant, the appearance is also an aspect of functionality: with a correct presentation of the file types already at the first glance you have an overview what's there in a directory.

Meanwhile, check this out..   I opened my road warrior machine and found all the files had their respective icons assigned.

(click on the picture to enlarge)

Interesting huh..?

Yes. Tells me that's not an internal problem of spacefm but of the environment. Do you think, it might/could have to do with something like a - missing - database of mimetypes?

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2016, 07:22:43 AM »

Yes. Tells me that's not an internal problem of spacefm but of the environment. Do you think, it might/could have to do with something like a - missing - database of mimetypes?
Especially when I boot without persistent  home, with base and norestore  boot codes then loading up space fm the icon association reverts to default.
Thereafter booting normally with home persistence I consistently find icon association is restored as shown in the screenshot below

Still trying to resolve this...

Offline emninger

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2016, 08:34:03 AM »
Thanks for your effort. I googled and searched the arch wiki but i did not really find something significant. I arch wiki they mentioned thumbnailer but i'm not sure to which extent. I would really like to use spacefm (may be also its desktop feature). As a pure filemanager application in an essential environment i think xfe would be more efficient and probably also lighter (?).

Btw, i'm not so tinycore familiar, so - with this netbook - i boot with /home /local &  /opt in the bootcodes (= persistent i presume; makes my life easier ;) ).

PS. I forgot: After i installed pcmanfm (to check how it deals with the file type icons) i saw it customizes (changes) ~/.gtkrc-2.0 to its own needs automatically. But also with this settings the problem in spacefm rests.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:37:55 AM by emninger »

Offline emninger

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2016, 08:48:19 AM »
Hi emninger
You were perfectly right; only a small correction: gtk 2 does not like the tilde char as well. ...

Well, I was guessing, which is not known for its accuracy. :)

Hi Rich.

To close this specific issue, after a test installation of pcmanfm i saw it configures ~/.gtkrc-2.0 to its own needs. And among this, it changed the last line to:
include .gtkrc-2.0.mineThis works as well as what you proposed:
include "/home/tc/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"
Probably the rule is like this: If you're pointing to an entire directory you need the quotes, if you point  to a file you only need the file name.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2016, 10:10:05 AM »
AIUI "gtkrc-2.0.mine" is the file a user may create to place custom configurations

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 05:46:33 AM »
Ok, after some digging I found that spacefm uses  "shared-mime-info" dependency to associate applications, icons etc etc with file types.   This assumes you have an icon theme installed like gnome-icon-theme.  Why the mime database is not being updated when an icon theme is installed I do not know as yet, however spacefm is so customizable that I found we are not limited to just one method when resolving a missing icon for certain file types issue.

The easiest method I found is simply to create a file " application-x-shellscript.xml " (shell script example) in /home/tc/.local/share/mime/packages with the following contents
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<mime-info xmlns='http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info'>
<mime-type type='application/x-shellscript'>
        <comment>Shell Script file</comment>
        <comment xml:lang="en">Shell Script file</comment>
        <icon name="shellscript"/>
</mime-type>
</mime-info>
then run " update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime " and/or restart spacefm

You may create an xml file for each file type you wish to add or change within the database, assuming you have an icon theme installed then adjust the name and contents of the file to suite and run update mime database again

good luck

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 05:50:09 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 03:17:01 PM »

I think we have a solution to the missing icons issue..   

I've made considerable changes to the startup script which appears to have resolved issues with the "shared-mime-info dependency"
In the process have also added support for various users set by boot code and left options available to add custom mime associations.

Am testing on tc6.x and tc-7, however If anyone would like to help test the extension please send me a pm, because it's hard to test on only a couple of systems