WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Who is using dCore and why?  (Read 3514 times)

Offline jls

Who is using dCore and why?
« on: February 23, 2015, 05:47:40 AM »
Hi
Looking at the few people posting in the dCore subforum, I make this public question.
I'm using dCore for it's vast number of packages and also cause it saves time for me not to have to maintain the extensions.
the memeber sercan Arslan is gone
dCore user

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
Re: Who is using dCore and why?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:00:18 AM »
Still in developement from what I read - so likely not that many people - plus there are 4 different versions, (or is it 5?).
Once it hits a stable version, I expect a few more people will give it a spin. :)
AMD, ARM, & Intel.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 07:16:37 AM »
Core/Tinycore has also been in a state of development , it since 2008, stable releases of Core can be found in it's release section.  Stable cuts of dCore can be found in it's release section.  dCore does not have release numbers, stable releases are made from the release candidates once they have been tested. 

There is only one version of dCore, but the same set of utilities are ported to armv7 and 2 x86 releases of Debian and Ubuntu.  The reason for that is choice, choice of package sets as well as another architecture. 

I could add dCore version numbers, ie 1.0, 1.1, but those are just names that can make for user confidence but don't necessarily reflect on what's under the hood in any product.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:54:33 AM by Jason W »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:13:17 AM »
@jls

I know that you read the scripts. Therefore I know that you know who the original author of the dCore scripts. So your repeated statements of "a one man distro" are unfounded.

You know and have stated why you use dCore. You know of my many past posts for my reason for starting dCore. You could be an evangelist for dCore.

Jason, has been doing a great job in supporting and enhancing the dCore scripts. Might I suggest that you appreciate the effort in bringing a vast collection of extensions via importsce into the Core. I know that I do. dCore is my daily driver.

10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »
Looking in http://tinycorelinux.net/dCore/x86/release_candidates/ it shows a date of 20-Nov-2014 - the same as for http://tinycorelinux.net/dCore/x86/release/ - I know I'm a newbie to TC, but these don't look like what you are saying(?).
AMD, ARM, & Intel.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
Those are the directories, look inside them for the files and dates. :-)

Offline Onyarian

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 11:51:37 AM »
Hi,
Now I am using ub-dCore (trusty) in all my Pc's and laptops because the facilities and clarity of the sce's extensions, and all the software that can be found in Ubuntu.
Every time, with the new functions introduced in dCore, is more and more easier to maintain and up to date the extensions.

My congratulations to the creators of these versions, where I think it will be the future of (Tiny-d)Core.

Thank you!  8)

debianator

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 05:55:44 AM »
I'm using dCore Jessie as OS of a fanless thin client via PXE boot .   The point was to get a absolute silent PC   ;) 

In tinycore some binaries are compiled with optimized flags for Pentium CPUs. But I have a Cyrix CPU.
That causes "illegal instruction" errors when I ran firefox etc.
So I swiched to the debian way. 
X, Browser and Shells are working  perfect now.

Great work, guys!

Offline yoshi314

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 02:05:14 AM »
i use it on an ancient laptop with pata-ssd, so that i don't wear it down too fast. plus, it's fairly lightweight.

other options are thin client environments and general purpose liveusb's.

Offline dicorer

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 12:17:59 AM »
only live usb,specialized ops :)
having last version binaries ready + some dependencies is a huge time saver, the idea to use ubuntu repo is good, but we all know those debs are full of useless stuffs and you can't never find an application with right dependencies, or depends are too many (or too less...  ::)
relying fully on those debs+deps, at the end there isn't much added value... +or- as lubuntu  ;D
so I made up my own strategy.
Basically, cutting away some of those deps, plus keeping track myself of already installed debs, plus further clean the resulting sce, I'm reducing dimensions half, and more.
luckily sce structure is very smart, it keeps inside the debs list used, so, at next ubuntu release it will be much simpler: just provide the same list to sce-import ;)

Offline bernhard

• Wiki Author
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 08:24:51 AM »
one of my motivations to use *Core was having a minimal distribution running Wine ...

As I remember the Wine tce did not migrate to TinyCore 5.x, and I was not able to get it running under 5.x, but there was dCore rising. So my solution was to try dCore with the Debian Wine package and get it running under dCore. After struggling some time with my german Keyboard layout, I succeeded recently.
--
  Bernhard