WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: piCore-6.1alpha2 for RPi2  (Read 11592 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
piCore-6.1alpha2 for RPi2
« on: February 22, 2015, 12:14:31 PM »
Hi,

please find the first test release for Raspberry Pi 2 at:

http://www.tinycorelinux.net/6.x/armv7/test_releases/RPi2/

Functionally it is the same as the armv6 release. Kernel module TCZ's are not yet in the repo, use the module archive.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline jgrulich

• GRULICH DESIGN - R&D Lab.
Re: piCore-6.1alpha2 for RPi2
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 07:17:25 AM »
Sorry, may be that I don't understand well the process.
Is there some simple and tricky way how to use only the selected modules and firmwares to be loaded with the kernel?
In the archive provided are modules in extracted format .ko and need to be gzipped firs into the .ko.gz to be loaded into the lib directory.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 07:23:50 AM »
There are no tricks. Just extract the module you need and copy to /usr/local/lib/modules/....

Check dependencies with modinfo and copy depending modules tool. You can gzip but it is not a must have, you can keep as it is. Add to your backup or create a private tcz similar to kernal mosule tcz's in the repo. After reboot it will be available.
Béla

Offline rpitcnhs

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 08:21:49 AM »
Firstly thank you for everything which has gone into making Tiny Core.

When using this img on a RPI2 when it has booted if I got to "Apps" and select fastest mirror I get

"Couldn't load mirror list.  Maybe network issue"

I have attempted to use the device on two different networks, work and home but get the same error.  From the terminal if I do an ifconfig it displays my network address OK on eth0.  Using a Raspbian image gives me network access.

Appreciate this is an alpha build, but curious if this is down to that, or specifically myself.

Thanks in advance

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 08:31:45 AM »
First check network before going to Apps. After boot, is network up? Can you ping a host, like google.com? Is system time updated from the network?
Béla

Offline rpitcnhs

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 08:49:55 AM »
Thank you for the rapid response.  From the control panel I went to data/time and that is all correct.  Within terminal I did a ping www.google.com and had reply after reply so that is all OK.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 09:02:51 AM »
Did you expand /dev/mmcblk0p2 as written in README?
Béla

Offline rpitcnhs

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 09:36:17 AM »
I did, but ill redo the microSD and start over.  Last time I accepted the default for end sector, can you suggest a number to use for the RPI2 (8GB SD Card) ?  I'll read over what I can find in the forums also regarding this step.  Thanks again for the pointers.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:42:29 AM by rpitcnhs »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 09:57:53 AM »
I would say +7G for the last sector and use remaining space on the SD card for swap.
Béla

Offline jgrulich

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 01:26:10 PM »
There are no tricks. Just extract the module you need and copy to /usr/local/lib/modules/....

Check dependencies with modinfo and copy depending modules tool. You can gzip but it is not a must have, you can keep as it is. Add to your backup or create a private tcz similar to kernal mosule tcz's in the repo. After reboot it will be available.

The backup restores them in the /usr/local/lib/modules/ directory, but they are still missing in the modules.dep. Need I manually copy each one in the list?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 10:27:28 PM »
Did you keep the original directory structure below modules, including 3.....piCore+/kernel/... ?
Béla

Offline jgrulich

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 05:52:19 AM »
Yes, the structure is: /usr/local/lib/modules/3.18.6_v7-piCore+/kernel/drivers/w1 for the 1 wire driver for example.

Offline jgrulich

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 06:20:59 AM »
Just tried to install some other kernel module for 3.12.35 core and it updated all the other modules in the correct _v7 directory and all modules were loaded and it works fine. The 3.12.35 is not used, mean I deleted it and it now works.
But when I reboot, it is again without and I need to install the dummy module again.
Don't know how to force the system to update the modules.dep during startup after the backup recovers the added modules in the /usr directory, or how to do it manually after the boot finish.

Offline jgrulich

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 02:10:14 PM »
Now all is finally working. I've copied all the driver modules for the /net/usb and /net/wireless, /rtc, /i2c, /w1 and whole the /sound folder to the /usr/local/lib/modules/3.18.6_v7-piCore+/kernel folder and than via tce installed dummy kernel module net-usb-xxx. This updated all the modules.dep files. Than I've removed the dummy kernel manually and copied the modules.dep files to the /opt directory to have them in backup. Than as the first lines in the bootlocal.sh is copy of these files to the /lib directory which enables the added modules to be loaded. But the issue is than the loading of these modules, because they're not automatically loaded at startup and they need to be manually reloaded after the modules.dep files are copied.
 The device-tree is in this case not working too.

Offline jgrulich

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 04:44:52 AM »
I'd like to test some compatible web browser, preferably Chromium, or Firefox to see, if the speed is enough. Is it possible?
At Rasbian it somehow works, hope this will be much faster.