WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: PiCore and dCore  (Read 4997 times)

Offline SzalonySam

PiCore and dCore
« on: October 02, 2020, 01:31:52 AM »
Hello , Greatings to you all!
It is my first topic here so i would give my best to make the subject clear as possible

If i am correct :
PiCore is OS dedicated for Raspberry PC ,
and dCore is OS dedicated for everything supplied with ARM processor unit .

is there technically posssible to run dCore on Raspberry Pi then ? If so , then why there two Operating System solutions even exist ?
Is it a matter of memory storage ?
Or i am getting everything wrong ?
still keeping eye on software solutions dedicated for nomands .

Offline iFreilicht

Re: PiCore and dCore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 10:02:46 AM »
If i am correct :
PiCore is OS dedicated for Raspberry PC ,
and dCore is OS dedicated for everything supplied with ARM processor unit .

That is not the case. dCore is based on tinyCore but instead of using TCs own tiny-core-extensions and repository, it uses self-contained-extensions, which wrap packages from the Debian repositories, so it uses the Debian package repositories, not those of TinyCore. This also means that on dCore, sce-* utilities are used instead of the tce-* utilities on TinyCore. There may be some other differences, but that's the main one.

dCore is originally designed and built for x86, just like TinyCore.
Some people decided they wanted to run TinyCore on RaspberryPis, so they ported it to those specific boards and called it piCore, maybe because the RasPis are quite special in their boot sequence and the data they expect, so piCore can't easily be run on other ARM-Boards.
Some other people independently decided they wanted to run dCore on some other ARM-Processors, so they ported it to those, but didn't give it a new name, it's just dCore for ARM. I suspect they only had to change the architecture and processor settings, so it could also be ported to other ARM-Processors.

In theory, dCore could also be ported to the RaspberryPi, but nobody has done it yet.
You could probably try to manually build TinyCore first using the core-scripts and the piCore source, and then substitute the core-scripts for the dCore-scripts, but that seems like a complicated endeavor.

dCore for ARM is not maintained AFAIK, the latest available version seems to be 5.x.