WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: HDMI Display  (Read 7896 times)

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
HDMI Display
« on: February 11, 2015, 08:34:25 PM »
What a pain.   It seems that currently the display of console during boot to HDMI doesn't work in the drivers.   if you system doesn't boot, the only way to know what is going on is use of the serial console.

This is the current state of the official ubuntu image as well as a few other images out there.   Anyway, at least HDMI works once the system is booted. 

Offline roborob

Re: HDMI Display
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:49:56 PM »
I noticed that while booting ubuntu there is a line of text that states something to the effect of "saving kernel messages". 

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 05:38:21 AM »
I noticed that while booting ubuntu there is a line of text that states something to the effect of "saving kernel messages".

Kernel messages are accessible via dmesg after login, but if it never boots, you are out of luck.     With a read-write operating system, you could always pull the SD card and mount it in a working system and read the logs.   I guess they figure this is a "DEV" board, and dev's would have a serial console to investigate.

Once the image is working, the only real challenge is the SD card and the monitor resolution.     I have two models of micro SD cards that are both UHS-1.   But one will boot only if I have UHS enabled, and the other will only boot if I have UHS disabled.

Offline roborob

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 03:19:04 PM »
Ok, I get it now.  Thanks.

Offline roborob

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 04:54:09 PM »
Just in case anyone is wondering how to get to a serial console... there is a kit for the odroid:

http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:usb_uart_kit

(This is just FYI, I do not receive compensation for posting this link.)