WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Core v6.1rc1  (Read 13924 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Core v6.1rc1
« on: February 04, 2015, 02:24:08 AM »
Team Tiny Core is pleased to announce that Tiny Core 6.1 rc1 is available for public testing:

http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86/release_candidates/
http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86_64/release_candidates/

This is a release candidate. If you decide to help test, then please test carefully. We don't want anyone to lose data.

We appreciate testing and feedback.

Changelog for 6.1 rc1:
* busybox updated to 1.23.1
* tce-load: apply awk patch from forum member aswjh
* settime.sh: fix systems with default year not 1970   
* tce-load: remove unused depi variable
* search.sh: awk patch from aswjh
* search.sh: move common part to a function
* tce-audit: awk patch from aswjh

Also in conjuction with the above in Xprogs:
* apps: quote the search argument, patch from aswjh
* apps: reload the list on an empty search
* apps: Set a minimum size to the window
* apps: Nicer resize behavior

Offline Misalf

Re: Core v6.1rc1
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 04:37:55 AM »
Boot time decreased from 35 seconds to 32 seconds. Thanks, aswjh! (:

Mount tool still says FLTK in the title. q:
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 06:56:26 AM »
Some of that is depmod being faster (no 800 forks anymore), which is in busybox 1.23.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline nitram

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 10:32:33 AM »
Thanks everyone involved for the ongoing development. Just updated core.gz and vmlinuz. Terminal outputs version 6.1rc1. Hope to help with testing. Boots flawlessly. Didn't time boot, but no obvious changes noted.

The new string search feature in Apps is great. No longer need to memorize the first 3-4 letters of a package. Searching 'office', for example, returns goffice and libreoffice.

Juanito wrote:
Changelog for 6.1 rc1:
* busybox updated to 1.23.1
Also in conjuction with the above in Xprogs:
* apps: quote the search argument, patch from aswjh
* apps: reload the list on an empty search
* apps: Set a minimum size to the window
* apps: Nicer resize behavior
Not sure i understand what 'quote the search argument' means. When entering a search into Apps, same example as 'office' above, Apps properly returns results but the search word 'office' is blanked from the search box - is this by design? Normally i would think most users would want their search term to stay on screen until they are ready for a new search - maybe that's just me.

Regarding 'reload the list on an empty search'. Again maybe i don't fully understand, but when the search box is empty and i click to select the empty box but don't enter a search term query and press enter (search for nothing), the available extension list does not reload but just continues to display the last search results. I need to manually select Apps > Cloud > Browse to repopulate the extension list.

No noticable changes with Apps appearance or resizing behaviour on my Xvesa netbook, running 1024x576. As before, the Apps dropdown can only be selected by clicking over the letters Apps, not what appears to be the 'button' to a layperson. On my system there is no minimum size limit for the Apps window and the Apps dropdown appearance still squishes and stretches funky when resizing. Screenshots attached.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 01:45:56 PM »
@nitram

It definitely sounds like you're using old Apps, not the new one. The old one is likely loaded from your tce directory, you should update extensions to get the new Xprogs.

Offline nitram

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 04:55:05 PM »
Thanks curaga.

Feel free to demote me from Jr. Member back to Newbie :)

Now i know how to complete a full upgrade. The new Apps is great, including Apps dropdown sizing, Apps window sizing, search feature, empty search to reset extension list, etc. Thanks for your hard work.

Offline nitram

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 05:21:19 PM »
Quick observations.

1. On my system, SystemTools > SetTime doesn't do anything and autocomplete via terminal doesn't seem to have any SetTime command. Is this the same as Date/Time in the ControlPanel? If so, the ControlPanel version appears to work but not from the SystemTools > SetTime drop down menu.

2. Most of Tiny Core's system tools and default applications can be closed with the esc key, including: Apps, ControlPanel, Editor, Exit, RunProgram, MountTool and Services. The only ones that don't are Aterm and Top, which probably runs in an Aterm. Is it possible to incorporate a consistent built-in esc key exit for Aterm and Top so all default applications behave consistently? I know q (quit) works for Top, but again not consistent with esc. Not a biggie but might be a nice enhancement.

Offline nitram

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 06:52:05 PM »
Continued from previous post:

3. Apps > Maintenance > OnDemand Maintenance issue. When an extension is added or removed from the OnDemand list via Add Item and Delete Item the screen flickers and in JWM the last application minimized, example Firefox, will then also return to the screen background behind Apps. This flickering and unminimizing behaviour is not evident when using Apps > Maintenance > OnBoot Maintenance to add or delete extensions.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 08:23:24 PM »
Hi nitram
1. On my system, SystemTools > SetTime doesn't do anything and autocomplete via terminal doesn't seem to have any SetTime command. Is this the same as Date/Time in the ControlPanel? If so, the ControlPanel version appears to work but not from the SystemTools > SetTime drop down menu.
If you look in:
Code: [Select]
/home/tc/.wmx/SystemTools/SetTimeyou'll see it runs getTime.sh which sets the time to UTC. Port 13 on your firewall has to be open for this to work.

Offline nitram

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 11:07:59 PM »
Hi Rich.

Thanks for the info. One of the first things i always set up is a firewall, in this case iptables. So i removed iptables running from startup. Rebooted and confirmed via terminal iptables -vL that it wasn't running (policy accept for input, forward and output). My system's internet is working great.

Selecting SystemTools > SetTime gives me nothing. No error or popup, nothing. Running getTime.sh via terminal indicates ntpd must be root. Running getTime.sh in terminal as root returns nothing, just back to command prompt.

/usr/bin/getTime is owned by root and is executable:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/busybox ash
# bmarkus - 26/02/2014

NTPSERVER=$(cat /etc/sysconfig/ntpserver)
/usr/sbin/ntpd -q -p $NTPSERVER
Anything else to try?

Edit: Forgot to note, my system does not have a /home/tc/.wmx/SystemTools/SetTime file or .wmx folder.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:16:58 PM by nitram »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 12:52:09 AM »
2. Most of Tiny Core's system tools and default applications can be closed with the esc key, including: Apps, ControlPanel, Editor, Exit, RunProgram, MountTool and Services. The only ones that don't are Aterm and Top, which probably runs in an Aterm. Is it possible to incorporate a consistent built-in esc key exit for Aterm and Top so all default applications behave consistently? I know q (quit) works for Top, but again not consistent with esc. Not a biggie but might be a nice enhancement.

I'm afraid not. In a terminal, the ESC key can be actually used to type some escape codes, some terminal apps will use it, etc.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 07:28:29 AM »
The hv_storvsc module has been moved from the scsi-KERNEL extension to the base to allow (hopefully) the use of hyper-v.

The iso files and modules{, 64}.gz have been regenerated and reposted as well as the scsi-KERNEL extensions in the repos.

Offline nitram

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 09:19:59 AM »
curaga wrote:
I'm afraid not. In a terminal, the ESC key can be actually used to type some escape codes, some terminal apps will use it, etc.
Understood - thanks.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 09:22:19 AM by nitram »

Offline Hadlock

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 07:05:36 PM »
Latest RC1 build detects the drive as SDA1 in Hyper-V now, thanks! :D Is there a way I can install TCE microcore to SDA1 using a text installer? If so, how? It doesn't look like you distribute Core-Plus builds of your RCs

However it returns an error when booting to the console, "udevadm settle - timeout of 5 seconds reached, the event queue contains: /sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:/LNXSYBUS:00/PNPA03:00/device:07/VMBUS:01/vmbus_0_1 (1175)" and a couple more lines afterward. I'm guessing this is related to the next error

full size = http://i.imgur.com/Y630PX9.png[

..When booting to GUI the video displays momentarily normal, but after about 5 seconds (same time it takes for the other error to show up in the console) if flips out as if the video goes out of synch. I've experienced this intermittently with the current CorePlus 6.0 release. On the CorePlus 6.0 release, option "Boot Core Plus with Openbox Window Manager" is 100% reliable.

EDIT: Using the "wait 5 seconds for slow devices" seems to fix the issue

full size = http://i.imgur.com/URSykVZ.png

Third, mouse acceleration seems to be off by about 5% in the GUI.

Thanks for all your work on this and the quick turnaround on my bug yesterday.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 07:26:01 PM by Hadlock »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 10:15:22 PM »
It doesn't look like you distribute Core-Plus builds of your RCs

http://www.tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86/release_candidates/CorePlus-6.1rc1.iso

'Glad things seem to be working with the waitusb boot code  :)