WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Dual head  (Read 3510 times)

Offline andyj

Dual head
« on: January 31, 2015, 05:11:16 PM »
Does anyone know what I need to do to get dual head working on the Pi? I have an HDMI and a USB display. The HDMI works in console mode only. It did work as the X display on /dev/fb0 until I got the USB display working, and now it goes black when I startx and only the USB display works as /dev/fb1. /dev/fb0 doesn't appear in Xorg.0.log.

Offline andyj

Re: Dual head
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 07:42:26 AM »
I updated /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-disp.conf for two heads. X acts like it is starting, but then it seg faults. Xorg.0.log shows that it recognizes both fb0 and fb1. Do I just not have enough memory to pull this off (free is 294M) or is it something else? There's no backtrace in the log.

Offline andyj

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 12:22:30 PM »
As an alternative, how could I leave the HDMI console display on fb0 while running X on only fb1?

Offline andyj

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 01:32:05 PM »
Now that I have an RPi 2 I've managed to get two screens working, one HDMI and one USB. However, it will not work if Xinerama is on. It hangs and the desktop doesn't start. That's not a huge deal since the screens are different sizes, but on the second display I don't have a desktop that I can do anything with and the cursor is the generic X instead of a pointer. I have wallpaper and that's it. How do I get some functionality on the second display? Even if I can only bring up a right click menu that would be good enough for what I'm trying to do.

Offline a

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 07:32:35 AM »
What have you done to get output on your USB screen? I'm on x86 and have also connected a USB monitor. Doesn't display anything, however. I can only see from dmesg output, that the display has been recognized and been assigned to /dev/fb1. What configuration file do I have to create or change and what must be written to it in order to see output? The USB monitor has a lower resolution than the main one, which is connected via DVI.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 08:36:41 AM »
I think to manage multihead display is up to the DE. Latest Xfce support it. It will come soon.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline andyj

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 08:46:48 PM »
I'm using http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1062 as my USB display. Someday I'll get around to documenting the steps to get it working. None that I have found on the net are right (some are close). You would need to patch the kernel source and compile modules.