WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: lang=it any problem?  (Read 6346 times)

Offline jls

lang=it any problem?
« on: June 04, 2009, 06:30:20 AM »
I understand that only lang=C is supported, but is it wrong to start tc with lang=it?
Maybe some localized extensions will start in italian?
dCore user

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: lang=it any problem?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 06:52:53 AM »
No, it isn't wrong, and if enabled, apps that have an italian translation should start in italian.
Instead of it though it_IT or it_IT@euro might get recognized better.

In tc 2.x you can make italian a supported language; glibc_gconv would need to be always loaded, and glibc_apps and glibc_i18n_locale are used to create the file (/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive). Including this file say with a translation extension would enable things like your local date format, paper size etc be detected, and of course get rid of the error of not valid locale.

Commands to do so, in a root console:
mkdir -pv /usr/lib/locale
localedef -i it_IT -f ISO-8859-1 it_IT
localedef -i it_IT@euro -f ISO-8859-15 it_IT@euro
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jls

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 02:47:40 PM »
.....; glibc_gconv would need to be always loaded, and glibc_apps and glibc_i18n_locale........
using the tcz version of those extensions, some programs (transmission, thunderbird, pidgin) don't start, using ttce there afre no problems.

Are u saying that I just load once glibc_apps and glibc_i18n_locale, and the put  /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive in my .filetool.lst?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 02:52:51 PM by jls_legalize »
dCore user

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 11:45:42 AM »
.....; glibc_gconv would need to be always loaded, and glibc_apps and glibc_i18n_locale........
using the tcz version of those extensions, some programs (transmission, thunderbird, pidgin) don't start, using ttce there afre no problems.

Are u saying that I just load once glibc_apps and glibc_i18n_locale, and the put  /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive in my .filetool.lst?
Yes. glibc_apps, glibc_i18n_locale, glibc_apps create the file; after created, only glibc_gconv is needed to use the file. Saving the file in backup should work fine.

Re transmission, thunderbird, pidgin with TCZ - any errors in console?

Offline jls

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 11:55:11 AM »
[Re transmission, thunderbird, pidgin with TCZ - any errors in console?
If I remember well, segmentation fault

[^thehatsrule^: removed spam]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 03:29:52 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »
dCore user

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 07:18:41 AM »
I experienced the same, firefox is segfaulting when using another than LANG=C, but that may even be a problem according to the distributed executables (since all the mozilla products are "language-branded" when downloading them). So it was no problem to download for example the german firefox and start it with LANG=C firefox. This way the surface is german as wanted and it doesn't segfault anymore.

Best regards,
Robert
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline jls

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 07:28:40 AM »
I use shiretoko.tcz + italian lang pack + locale switcher. See
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1400.0
dCore user

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 08:05:32 AM »
I experienced the same, firefox is segfaulting when using another than LANG=C, but that may even be a problem according to the distributed executables (since all the mozilla products are "language-branded" when downloading them). So it was no problem to download for example the german firefox and start it with LANG=C firefox. This way the surface is german as wanted and it doesn't segfault anymore.

Best regards,
Robert

This is rather old discussion, but problem still exists. Just tried 2.8.1 with Hungarian locale. Most applications, including LXDE components work as expected, but Firefox, Thunderbird3 segfaults as well as FileZilla which is my extension :(

Any idea?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline jls

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 06:16:44 AM »
Yes. glibc_apps, glibc_i18n_locale, glibc_apps create the file; after created, only glibc_gconv is needed to use the file. Saving the file in backup should work fine.
I've noticed that localized app starts in the desired lang also without glibc_gconv installed.
dCore user

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 07:46:26 AM »
I've noticed that localized app starts in the desired lang also without glibc_gconv installed.

True, but they won't be able to convert text to the native encoding.