Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

oopsed bootsync.sh, now won't boot

(1/2) > >>

nitram:
Playing around with my configuration and i oopsed my /opt/bootsync.sh file.

Tried forum search and didn't see anything - thought this would be a common rookie mistake.

Tried booting with multivt but the system doesn't boot far enough to allow.

Booted with norestore, boots but then of course just get default bootsync.sh file, how to modify my saved version?

Do i need to boot with liveCD, dual boot or norestore option, manually unzip mydata.tgz, fix file, rezip and hope it works? Anyway more elegant?

Rich:
Hi nitram
Try booting with  norestore. Then execute:

--- Code: ---filetool.sh -r
--- End code ---
which should perform a restore and give you access to your  /opt/bootsync.sh.

nitram:
Thanks Rich it worked great!

Wasn't sure if filetool.sh -r would take so after fixing bootsync.sh issued ctrl-alt-del to terminal, startx again to confirm restored/proper setup and shutdown TC with a fresh backup. Learned my lesson and after the reboot promptly made a backup copy of mydata.tgz. Never used an OS that was so simple to backup - no excuses for me now.

marty

Rich:
Hi nitram

--- Quote ---Thanks Rich it worked great!
--- End quote ---
How about that, I got it right. ::)

CentralWare:
@Rich: You usually do! :)

@nitram: You may want to consider throwing together a slightly more elaborate boot menu so that you always have a fall-back in case your experimentation(s) go South you can always boot to the same kernel/image with what ever boot codes (such as norestore) you think are prudent and if it hangs on you, simply reboot and choose the "clean" boot option instead of the default.

DEFAULT core
PROMPT 1
TIMEOUT 60

LABEL core
  MENU LABEL Tiny Core Linux
  KERNEL path/to/vmlinuz
  APPEND initrd=path/to/core.gz quiet syslog (and so on - your default settings)

LABEL corebackup
  MENU LABEL Tiny Core Linux (No Backup)
  KERNEL path/to/vmlinuz
  APPEND initrd=path/to/core.gz quiet syslog norestore (and so on like your default settings)

LABEL justcore
  MENU LABEL Tiny Core Base (No Extensions/Backup)
  KERNEL path/to/vmlinuz
  APPEND initrd=path/to/core.gz quiet base norestore

This way, you're always "in charge" and can break things without worry...  well, as long as you don't break the kernel or fs image! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version