WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Odroid-C1  (Read 21295 times)

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
Odroid-C1
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:14:02 PM »
Got the Odroid-C1 to boot piCore 6.0

I started with the piCore SSH image.
Had to recompile the kernel to include zram, loop and squashfs
initrd right now is 100MB with all of the modules.

got to have fun with uboot.

Offline roborob

Re: Odroid-C1
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 09:40:35 AM »
Hi Paul,

How is the performance compared to the raspberry?  From what I have been reading it is supposed to be around 8x faster.  Is it close to expectations?

Regards,

Rob

Offline roborob

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 01:43:41 PM »
Hi,

I've haven't compiled a kernel yet.  Would you consider sharing the steps?  I would like to try building piCore-X with no modules, or perhaps only node.js.  I will search through the forums but any sort of head-start you feel like sharing would be great.

regards,
rob

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 04:17:17 PM »
It's much faster.   the ubuntu image that hardkernel builds boots to a full desktop in about 20 seconds.

Problems.....

Think of the rpi when it was first released.  The drivers are still getting the bugs kinked out.

1- UHS mode doesn't work with most cards, and causes conflicts.
2- Ethernet.  they are still working out the speed issues.  Although it is sort of patched
3- USB has some dropouts.
4- They are still playing around with assigning irq interrupts to the various cores.
5- HDMI does not work well with some monitors, and non HDMI monitors don't work well at all.   I don't have my monitor working with tinycore yet.   I'm using the serial console to monitor the boot process, and then using ssh to connect headless.

But they are fixing and releasing binary updates daily,  And the kernel is available via git.   

If you have the Odroid Ubuntu image running, read the odroid wiki to build the kernel.   You can build the kernel an modules in an hour.    If you have not built an initrd for core yet, then you need on read up on that.  This post is a nice summary. http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,14634.msg88856.html#msg88856    After you build the initrd, you will also need to run mkimage to wrap the image for uboot. 
Code: [Select]
mkimage -A arm -T ramdisk -C none -d initrd.gz initrd The other trick to uboot is tell uboot to relocate the ramdisk to high memory, otherwise it gets overwritten but he kernel when it decompresses.   Add
Code: [Select]
setenv initrd_high 0xffffffff just before the bootm command.   That step should not be necessary once we can remove enough modules from the initrd to get the ramdisk down in size.

Offline roborob

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 09:33:35 PM »
Hi,

When you wrote "compile" I thought you meant via gcc. 

Thanks for the link I had not seen that post yet and I have searched the TC forums for hours.  I have been trying to follow bmarkus's instructions but I am stalled out at the symlink step.  I am writing a bash script to automate the process.  I think the post you pointed to may be enough to get me going again.

regards,
rob

Offline roborob

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 03:39:29 PM »
Hi Paul,

Did you follow the steps on this page?:

http://odroid.us/mediawiki/index.php?title=Step-by-step_Native_Compiling_a_Kernel

regards,
rob

Offline roborob

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 08:20:27 PM »
Please ignore my last post.   I must have been half asleep when I wrote it. 

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 10:30:27 AM »
I got an Odroid C1 for testing. SD card image provided by Paul_123 works fine piCore 6.0 and a TC kernel. Actually I tested only the usual SSH version, X will follow. It has an onboard RTC with battery which works fine, so removing NORTC from boot args system gets time from RTC. Of cource if no battery installed, network time setting works as on Raspberry.

It is really fast thanks to the 4x 1.53GHz CPU and 1GByte RAM. However boot (before TC does anything) takes more time compared to normal Raspberry.

If everything goes well, first public alpha release expected in a week time.

Paul, thanks for the contribution! :)
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 11:45:05 AM »
I got an Odroid C1 for testing. SD card image provided by Paul_123 works fine piCore 6.0 and a TC kernel. Actually I tested only the usual SSH version, X will follow. It has an onboard RTC with battery which works fine, so removing NORTC from boot args system gets time from RTC. Of cource if no battery installed, network time setting works as on Raspberry.

It is really fast thanks to the 4x 1.53GHz CPU and 1GByte RAM. However boot (before TC does anything) takes more time compared to normal Raspberry.

If everything goes well, first public alpha release expected in a week time.

Paul, thanks for the contribution! :)

Glad I could contribute.   It was a combination of frustrating and fun.   

Here is the boot time breakdown.
Uboot/bootloader  4s
Kernel Loading=4.5s
Core Init = 0.8s
Extract Tcz's = Varies with how many extensions you have loaded
After Extensions load,.takes about 4 seconds to bring the network up and get a dhcp address.

Also right now we are using stock CPU frequencies.  Most say that you can overclock to 1.72 without much concern.  Especially if we are not using the VPU.    This kernel will probably change alot in the short term, as the driver development continues. 

Offline jncl

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
Hi Béla,

I've recently got an Odroid-C1 and wanted to try using TinyCore on it. Is there an alpha release available for it yet?, or would it be possible to get a copy of the SD card image that you used please?

Cheers

Jon

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 09:46:07 AM »
Hi Jon

Paul is working on a new version what we will make available for public testing. He can tell more about ETA.

Regards... Béla
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 04:54:53 PM »
Hi Jon

Paul is working on a new version what we will make available for public testing. He can tell more about ETA.

Regards... Béla

Just compiled the latest Kernel 3.10.73 and had to tweak a few kernel modules that I had left out.    Also grabbed the latest 6.1 initrd changes.   Hope to have it built and tested this week.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 07:44:15 PM »
This will be great Paul....if there are then Arm packages available and a repo.

The C1 seems to have excellent Linux support with tons of distros available for it.

There are some custom Music distro's available for it with the realtime kernel too.

V

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 08:06:01 AM »
There is an Armv7 repo already created.   This is the same repo that the rpi-2's use.      The only difference will be kernel modules, and a couple slight changes to the boot up to support the oDroid hardware.

I ran into a big surprise when I pulled the latest kernel, (3.10.73)   They back-ported most of the wifi system from the 3.19 kernel, so I had to do a complete rebuild of the kernel and configuration.    I think I now have it built properly, but need to build the tinycore image and test it.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 02:28:53 PM »
right Paul. THat sounds complex.

People want wi fi though don't they. Me?....just use ethernet  here really.

Yes, on OS without repo of apps isn't much use is it. So it's good you are saying
there is a repo.

I think the C1 will stay around a while. Although for you it may be a question of
common sense and such

thanks

V