Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

persistent data

(1/4) > >>

wysiwyg:
I was looking through the TC book under the "bootcodes explained" and the "persistent storage" chapters to see about preserving configuration changes between bootups.  The latter chapter says "The backup is on by default as long as you have set up a tce directory. It will save all your personal files in your home directory, and the system config files under /opt, excluding common browser caches."  I have a "tce=" declaration in my bootloaders config file (which is working correctly), unfortunately I don't see a mydata.tcz in that tce directory.  It should be noted that I'm not using a graphical UI, but rather the cli (corepure64.gz).  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Rich:
Hi wysiwyg
You should be able to run a backup using  filetool.sh.

wysiwyg:
@Rich so is this something that gets run automatically *if* a GUI is installed, but not just with a cli install?

Thanks,
Dave

curaga:
Yes, it is run by default from the "Exit" GUI. In a CLI env you're responsible for doing a backup.

wysiwyg:
Thanks for the response curaga.  Is there a reason why this isn't integrated with the system instead of being dependent upon having an GUI installed?  Otherwise you rely on having the user perform this manually before shutting down the system (which can be very problematic).  I have added a small section in the /etc/init.d/rc.shutdown file to accomplish this:

#!/bin/busybox ash
# /etc/init.d/rc.shutdown - used by /etc/inittab to shutdown the system.
#
. /etc/init.d/tc-functions
useBusybox

clear

# backup the system files
if [ $(cat /etc/sysconfig/backup) == 1 ]; then
        filetool.sh -b
fi

...snip the rest of the existing script...

This way everything is performed automatically no matter if you have a GUI installed or just using the console.  Plus it uses TC's current configuration on indicating if a backup should be performed or not via the /etc/sysconfig/backup file value.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version