WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: atl1c hangs on Acer Aspire  (Read 1242 times)

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
atl1c hangs on Acer Aspire
« on: January 22, 2015, 11:28:14 PM »
I've had these two Acer netbooks running TC4 for quite some time using ethernet and never had a glitch.  Last night, I needed to switch one of the machines (532h) over to wireless-only and installation (before pulling the ether-plug) went through perfectly fine.  (wireless-KERNEL, wireless_tools and supplicant/gui along with the Atheros firmware mod.)

This machine gets warm-booted a number of times each day; this is what led to the discovery.

Intermittently, possibly one out of every 5-7 boots, the machine will completely hang for 2+ minutes and udevadm dumps its cache which is usually pending a good number of serio#/i8042 items (keyboard, mouse, aux, etc.) and when the cache is shown, the last log entry before the hang is atl1c (irq 43 for MSI/MSI-X) and the next log entry two minutes later is wlan starting up (wlan0: authenticate... try 1).

The only times the machine hangs like this I get this long device cache - all other times I don't even see a cache show before X launches.  AFTER the hang (~2 minutes) things go through perfectly fine as though it never happened.  This is not a priority to me as the machine isn't being used "directly" (the only reason it has Xvesa running is for apps requiring a desktop, even though they never directly interact, such as gvucview) but considering the average user who would install on an Aspire with wifi only...  I imagine it would be an irritation.

Installation: TCL4.7.7 x86 frugal + persist tce/opt/home/local
Machine: Acer Aspire One 532h 2GB DDR2, 40GB SATA2
Attachments: Microsoft usb webcam (v4l-dvb-3.0.21)
Extensions: Xvesa/flwm + firmware/firmware-atheros + gv + a few daemons such as acpid/dropbear + wifi/tools/gui

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: atl1c hangs on Acer Aspire
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 12:58:46 AM »
Known bug with the atl1c driver, fixed in more recent kernels.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
Re: atl1c hangs on Acer Aspire
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 05:39:12 AM »
@curaga: Thanks.  Had a feeling it was driver related, but it didn't complain in the least.
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair