WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: No desktop with TinyCorePure64-6.0.iso  (Read 12017 times)

Offline pema

Re: No desktop with TinyCorePure64-6.0.iso
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 12:42:32 AM »
Hej.
Slow progress, Im trying getting a file manager working to get going faster, terminal is so boring and I forgotten most commands. I have the impression emelfm is simplest/easiest but after tce loading glib1, gtk1 emelfm still complains about libgtk 1.2, I have the emelfm icon on desktop but nothing happens and when writing sudo emelfm it misses the libgtk 1.2, where do i find this lib ? (not included in gtk2) or is there a easier way for getting a file manager ? Tried getting wicd or wpa_supplicant started, I've loaded libnl, ncurses, ncurses-common, openssl 1.0.1, wireless-tools etc, all files I could find mentioned in dependencies but for these programs Im still missing libnl-3 which I can not find where included. Is there an easy way to find out exact what dependencies/tce's required for getting a file manager and wifi tool running or complete "package" for download ? it is extremely time consuming downloading each dependency file looking for dependencies, I need some quick shortcuts now. Maybe it would be possible creating "module" packages for us noobs, a zip containing necessary packages just to get a simple file manager started, another package for getting a wifi going, the tce load works very well, it loads the packages required once it finds them in the cde/optional folder, the thing i just to get the user to undertsand waht files is needed.

All ideas appreciated, and no, wired network is not an option, I gave all that stuff away to the local enduro motorcycle club couple of years ago when changing to lte wifi router, tcl is the first software I tested since then without wireless capabilities, I did find my old dvd burner, thought I wasted that too.

Thank you all for pointing me in the right direction, I should be close to get going by my self soon.

Kindly Peter.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 01:06:33 AM »
I've been playing extensively with the TinyCorePure64 v6.0 iso for the last day or so and I can confirm downloading and loading emelfm works without problems (on a wired internet connection).

It looks like you may be mixing apps between the 5.x and 6.x repos or possibly the x86 and x86_64 repos or you are not downloading the *tcz.dep files. I say this because libnl-3 is in the libnl extension and libgtk-1.2 is in the gtk1 extension so, for example, if the emelfm.tcz.dep file were present locally and you loaded emelfm, the gtk1 extension would be loaded and libgtk-1.2 would be present.

Note that wicd uses wpa_supplicant-dbus and you cannot have both wpa_supplicant and wpa_supplicant-dbus loaded at the same time.

The 32-bit CorePlus iso is an attempt to provide everything available to get wifii working, but even then it's hit or miss due to the fact you need to "cut" broadcom firmware, locate drivers for ndiswrapper, etc, etc.

Did you mention what wifi hardware you have?

I manually download extensions from http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86_64/tcz reasonably often - it's just a matter of downloading the *tcz, *tcz.md5.txt and *tcz.dep files, examining the *tcz.dep file for recursive deps and plodding along methodically.

Offline pema

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 09:11:14 AM »
Dear forum.

Frist of all, thankyou all for your kind assistance, interest and patience. Just to finish and close this thread, the matter is not solved but I do not have more time playing with this.

To constructively  summarize the problem:
1. I was only able booting tcl using a old thumbdrive, this is no problems to me, you just got to know it if playing with other linuxes.
2. As I have no wired ethernet, only wifi, I was not able getting anyhing extra to work, not even emelfm since the dependency files in the repository is not correct, I opened each dependency txt file for each program manually, noted depencies and made sure I had the complete chain. Also the tcl load function noticed me when loading in wrong order or if something was missing, everything tested twice. A reader of this thread may notice I have never commented the mentioning of mixing 32/64 bit versions or other tcl versions, why should I, why mix incorrect files ? If there is files mixed up in the repositories I do not know, I can only guarantee using correct files from my side.

I have now ended up using puppy lighthouse as it works fairly (just crashed and need to figure out why). I have this far tested Linux mint 17.1 (sometimes boots, sometimes not), bodhi Linux (flimsy and unstable), puppy fatdog 7.00 (unstable), puppy tahr 32bit (was promised to work on 64bit, did not), lubuntu (never got wifi working) and of course the slitaz (same problem here, no wifi).
I had to revert back to win 8.1 installing the classicshell software and now my new intel quadcore laptop is almost as quick as my old xp single core laptop but not as rock solid stable.

I still think tcl is a great initiative and believe in the concept, it may not just be ready for a Linux retard as me. This is very clearly stated in the tcl wiki but I just had to try as Im desperately trying to break out of the windoze prison. Anything that would run a heavy java application in java 7.51 over wifi for me is of interest.

As a future suggestion perhaps someone could make a "wifi-package" together with a file manager, find all required programs (and dependencies), put in a zip file and make available for download together with simple txt file/list with instructions how to just get us noobs online with tcl, once online everything seems well documented. Eventhough this zipfile might be big it is still worth it as ubuntu iso distributions now ticks in at more than 1gb, Linux mint iso is now 1.4gb download size, bigger than my complete xp install !

Again, I want to thank you all for your assistance, interest and patience, see you in five years again (I noticed my latest presence here was ~five years ago).

Kindly Peter.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 10:00:09 PM »
not even emelfm since the dependency files in the repository is not correct,

Not true, the dep file for emelfm is correct...

Offline nitram

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 12:01:02 AM »
@Pema: Not sure if you'll check in again on your post. Good luck with your Linux adventures.

Lighthouse Pup is no longer actively maintained: http://www.lhpup.org/

Curious if CorePlus would work on your 64-bit system, just cap max RAM to 4GB. Wifi.tcz and fluff.tcz work well.
CorePlus is an installation image and not the distribution. It is recommended for new users who only have access to a wireless network or who use a non-US keyboard layout. It includes the base Core System and installation tools to provide for the setup with the following options: Choice of 7 Window Managers, Wireless support via many firmware files and ndiswrapper, non-US keyboard support, and a remastering tool
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/downloads.html