WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: No desktop with TinyCorePure64-6.0.iso  (Read 11910 times)

Offline pema

No desktop with TinyCorePure64-6.0.iso
« on: January 14, 2015, 03:09:00 PM »
Dear forum,
I just bought me a new 64bit slaptop so now Im playing with the 64bit tcl, for some reason I do not get any gui when booting TinyCorePure64-6.0.iso, is flwm or similar included or should the user start desktop after boot when arrived at tc@box ? If i understood correctly gui is not included in corepure64 but included in tinycore pure 64 right ?
Tried the old startx etc but no luck, browsed around tcl forum and wiki but could not find info, please advice or point me to further info so I can decide to trouble shoot slaptop or tcl.
I have downloaded and burnt several times, slaptop is a cheap acer aspire e15, 64bit intel quadcore.

Kindly Peter.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: No desktop with TinyCorePure64-6.0.iso
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 03:50:59 PM »
You really have not given us any useful information.
What are you booting?
What does 'showbootcodes' return?
What extensions are loaded?
What does 'startx' return?

Offline pema

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 03:15:49 AM »
Hej.
Thank you for reply. Please instruct what commands to execute and the exact syntax for execution and I will happily respond with result. Currently nothing happens, the system boots to textprompt, startx gives no response. Im booting off USB flash, tcl ISO written with rufus in Windows as works with pups, arch etc and if trouble with image I think I would not be able booting to tcl core. No extensions loaded by me, only the tiny core pure 64.
I read one post about loading a intel extension, If that is required for me please point me to info where I can understand how to load required extensions at iso boot, syntax and what extensions you recommend for starting a desktop in tcl.

Kindly Peter.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 03:37:12 AM »
The iso is intended to be burnt to cd/dvd - if you somehow copied it to a flash drive, the extensions will not load. Basically tinycore expects extensions on a cd/dvd to be in cde/optional whereas they are expected to be in /tce/optional on all other media.

The flwm gui is included in the TinyCorePure64 iso, but it uses Xfbdev as opposed to Xvesa, which only works with 32-bit systems.

If you have a wired network connection you can use the command "tce-load -w extension_name" to download any extensions you require and "tce-load -i extension_name" to load them.

If you don't have a wired network connection, you can copy the contents of cde and cde/optional to tce and tce/optional (for example /mnt/sdb1/tce).

Offline pema

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 04:07:54 AM »
Hej.
Thank you for reply. What extensions would you recommend me to start with ? Is the gui started by default or do I have to start gui manually and if so with what commands ? Do I need to start/configure xfbdev ? Apologies for all questions, it is difficult starting with a new lnx flavor.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 04:34:52 AM »
If the required extensions for a window manager are loaded "onboot", the gui will start automatically.

Xfbdev might work with the default, but depending on your hardware it might not - give it a try and see what happens. If you have the space, you can use Xorg-7.7 instead of Xfbdev.

As mentioned, if you copy the contents of cde/optional to tce/optional, that should be enough to start with.

If you have a wired network connection, you could try either of the following:
Code: [Select]
$ tce-load -iw aterm flwm wbar Xfbdev Xprogs
$ tce-load -iw aterm flwm wbar Xorg-7.7 Xprogs

Offline NewUser

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 10:03:33 AM »
I had troubles with all versions of Tiny Core until I used the core2usb ( which can be found here:  http://sourceforge.net/directory/os:windows/freshness:recently-updated/?q=core2usb) to write the .isos to a thumbdrive.  then make sure you are using the boot entry with waitusb=5 boot code.

Offline aplannan

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 06:01:02 PM »
I had to load xf86-video-intel to get a graphical desktop with the 64bit version of Tiny Core. Hope it helps.

Offline pema

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 12:37:27 PM »
Hej.
My latest findings:
1. Booting off cd dont work, just reboots over and over.
2. Booting tcl 32 bit off usb gives black screen after boot, I can see it starts up tcl. No one surprised.
3. Copied the tcl files with fatdog to the harddrive and let refind boot them in uefi, stops at kernel panic and asking for what partition to be root, unfortunately im not good enough with syntax as boot option "root= sda7 xyz1234 etc" did not work.
Next step is to try aplannans booting off usb, loading the xf86 but after that I give up, I believe there is something wrong with this release and perhaps there is older releases in an archive somewhere I could try ?

Edit: it was more difficult than expected finding the xf86-video-intel.tcz for separate download...hilfe ?

Kindly Peter.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 12:48:15 PM by pema »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 09:31:50 PM »
I'm using corepure64 6.0 all day every day without problems - your problem is either that Xfbdev does not work with your hardware when booting from cd or that you have not managed to create a suitable bootable flash drive/usb stick.

If you search the forums there are detailed explanations on how to create a bootable usb stick with grub2, both for legacy bios and for (u)efi without requiring refind. Reading the the core book would also help.

The tce-install extension will also install 32-bit tc after which you can copy the 64-bit files and create a new bootloader entry.

Ref xf86-video-intel - this will only work if you have Xorg-7.7 loaded and intel graphics hardware.

If you let us know which of the above options you'd like to attempt, we can try to help.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 11:12:19 PM »
One has to wonder if the op is using the correct ISO..?  Though there could be various other issues..

I'd start again with a new download of TinyCorePure64-6.0 from here http://tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86_64/release/TinyCorePure64-6.0.iso  if you need to boot into a desktop.

I was quite impressed when I tried the ISO from the above link, which booted promptly to a desktop using Xfbdev direct from the CD on a normally difficult PC with multiple Video hardware.   Great job Juanito

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 11:15:50 PM »
I burnt TinyCorePure64-6.0.iso to cd and used it to boot my macmini.

Bizarrely, booting the cd with both the gui and command line options, a few old 32-bit extensions are loaded - it looks like these are being found from a tc-5.x installation on the ssd.

If I use <tab> to modify the cd boot options to add "base norestore", then I can mount the cd, "tce-load -i /mnt/sr0/cde/optional/*tcz" and everything works fine, albeit at a low screen resolution.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 01:55:58 AM »
Well here's an idea!! 

So I booted TinyCorePure64-6.0.ISO (previously burned to a CD and selected "boot corpure64" from the menu, which take us to a prompt.  At the command line I found and executed the attached script (just this evening put together).. After downloading all the required deps to memory ( /tmp/tce ), the script started Xorg and voila! we have a full Xorg based desktop

Bizarrely, booting the cd with both the gui and command line options, a few old 32-bit extensions are loaded - it looks like these are being found from a tc-5.x installation on the ssd.
I suspect I had a similar phenomena, instead of downloading duplicates from the repo, I think some deps were found in cde directory...  ??   

I'll attach the script here in case someone might be better off with Xorg instead of Xfbdev, but for someone not used to linux file system it may be hard to find is all..  one additional thought I had.. maybe should include additional drivers as deps for the odd hardware?  afterall would it really matter if additional drivers like xf86-video-intel were loaded but without hardware to use it??

It was an interesting evening project

thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:08:56 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline pema

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 08:03:41 AM »
Hej.
Success, I tried another old USB flash I found deep down in a drawer, rewrote the tcl iso with rufus in win and booted in legacy and now I got desktop, just as I did before with a sandisk USB flash but failed. As far as I can see there is no wifi modules included in the ISO, I have only wifi, no wired, what modules would you recommend and how can I download these from fatdog puppy linux (outside tcl) ?

Kindly Peter.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 08:57:49 AM »
First of all you need to find out what wifi hardware you have.

Download and load the pciutils and usb-utils extensions (and their deps libpci, libusb and udev-lib) and type the commands "lspci" and "lsusb" in a terminal window.

You should be able to spot your wifi hardware in the pci or usb device lists.