WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: screen saver locks programs  (Read 2199 times)

Offline gio

screen saver locks programs
« on: January 14, 2015, 05:29:36 AM »
Hi,
I noticed a problem with screen saver.
My config is a panel pc with no keyboard and a touchscreen.
 I have a terminal opened at start up that is launching a java application, something with some buttons around etc.
If I press any button and I wait until the savescreen is acting, then if I touch the screen all is right and working well.
But if I do not touch the screen, leaving  until the savescreen is acting, if I touch the screen I see my system coming very slow, in reality not responding at all in some ways. It seems like if someone is drying out the system. I can see the screen, but the buttons respond very slowly without acting.

I do not know what is happening.

As an alternative is there a way to permanently stop the screen saver? I looked around but I did not see anything.

thank you all

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: screen saver locks programs
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 07:17:10 AM »
Hi gio
Go to the forums search page and search for xset.

Offline gio

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 07:33:33 AM »
Thank you, I tried searching on forum but for some oddities it was shown just one message. Now I tried again and I see more messages, so I can investigate more deeply.
However the command "xset s off" seems not to work for me, after that "xset q" shows a timeout of 0, but the savescreen is still running. If I use "xset s reset" it seems to work.
My working version is 5.4
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 07:36:32 AM by gio »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 07:51:19 AM »
Hi gio
How about:
Code: [Select]
xset s off -dpms

Offline gio

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 01:12:15 AM »
Hi Rich,
well. On my desktop for a while (yes just for a while) worked the reset option. But, about stopping the savescreen, after I put the instructions you wrote (xset s off -dpms) in .xsession the screensaver was at last definitely stopped. After that I put it on my customer machine and it is now under test, but it seems working.

In any case I do not understand the strange behaviour of screensaver program preventing  the right progress of the java program, just if I do not touch anything at start. Any idea where to investigate? I feel that in production I will have to use a savescreen. I just tried to see which processes are around or so on, but I do not know where to look . Unfortunately now  I have not the access to the test machine.