WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Still no audio  (Read 9051 times)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Still no audio
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 05:31:26 PM »
Delete copy2fs.flg.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 12:53:16 AM »
However, the system still will not boot into the GUI and gives the message "failed in waitforX".  There is no X log that's being generated

What does this give:
Code: [Select]
$ cat ~/.xsession
$ cat /etc/sysconfig/desktop

Note that only Xorg-7.x gives an X log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) - you'd need to look in /tmp/wm_errors for Xvesa and Xfbdev

Offline wysiwyg

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 11:36:39 AM »
@gerald_clark I have deleted the copy2fs.lst file and now everything is showing up when calling 'mount'.  What does that file do btw?

@Juanito here is the contents of the requested files:

/etc/sysconfig/desktop
flwm

~/.xsession
/usr/local/bin/Xfbdev -mouse /dev/input/mice,5 -nolisten tcp -I >/dev/null 2>&1 &
export XPID=$!
waitforX || ! echo failed in waitforX || exit
"$DESKTOP" 2>/tmp/wm_errors &
export WM_PID=$!
[ -x $HOME/.setbackground ] && $HOME/.setbackground
[ -x $HOME/.mouse_config ] && $HOME/.mouse_config &
[ $(which "$ICONS".sh) ] && ${ICONS}.sh &
[ -d "$HOME/.X.d" ] && find "$HOME/.X.d" -type f -print | while read F; do . "$F"; done

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 09:20:15 PM »
Instead of using "startx" from the command line, what do you get if you use this:
$ /usr/local/bin/Xfbdev -mouse /dev/input/mice,5 -nolisten tcp -I

Offline wysiwyg

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 08:09:50 AM »
Good morning everyone!  So I ran the command you requested Juanito and here are the results:

Error opening framebuffer /dev/fb0: No such device
Fatal server error:
no screens found

I have confirmed that there is no /dev/fb0 file.  Not sure why its not being created...

Dave

Offline wysiwyg

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 08:58:09 AM »
Since I will be working mostly with Xorg, I ended up loading that, the xf86-video-ati, firmware-radeon, and the alsa package and got a working system (can even see the /dev/fb0 file).  I would still like to get the issue with using the framebuffer resolved though (I preserved that boot option).

The above mentioned packages are all I've installed on a fresh TC 6.x.  While it looks like X is using the ATI driver, I'm still having the audio problems originally described. Looking through the X log for lines that appear to be loading anything for audio, I see "No input driver specified, ignoring this device.  This device may have been added with another device file."  I can pastebin the logs if you desire.  Any thoughts on what's going on?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 09:42:30 AM »
Perhaps the order in which the extensions are loaded is important - I'd suggest loading the radeon firmware, then alsa and then Xorg-7.7.

It seems common that hdmi sound devices also have an analogue sound device. On my laptop, hdmi sound is the default device 0 and the analogue sound is device 1, which means that many applications will not use the laptop speakers without adjusting the configuration. In addition the laptop speakers will not work unless the headpones output is muted (regardless of whether headphones are actually connected).

It would be worth looking at the results of "aplay -l" to see what device is the default on your hardware and "alsamixer" to see what outputs are muted.

Offline wysiwyg

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 10:15:06 AM »
@Juanito Here's all the info:

# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]

# head -5 onboot.lst
firmware-radeon.tcz
xf86-video-ati.tcz
alsa.tcz
Xfbdev.tcz
Xlibs.tcz

When I go in alsamixer and hit F6 to switch between audio devices, I see the following options:

- (default)
0 HDA ATI HDMI
1 HD-Audio Generic

Both the "(default)" and "0 HDA ATI HDMI" just give values for "S/PDIF" and "S/PDIF 1", the "1 HD-Audio Generic" has the proper range of options.  I've unmuted every option in alsamixer, but it doesn't appear to affect anything - still no sound.  X log is also showing same error messages.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:21:53 AM by wysiwyg »

Offline wysiwyg

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 07:42:19 AM »
I was looking at reviews for the motherboard that I'm using and it appears that nobody has any issues with it and Linux (although they are using full distros like Debian or Ubuntu).  Could this still be a driver issue or an issue with alsa?  It appears to have all its audio components detected, but for some reason they are not being configured correctly in alsamixer.  X logs show they are being ignored for some reason...  Is it weird that the 'aplay' results like 4 audio devices, but alsa only shows 3?

Dave

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 08:28:59 AM »
aplay is from the alsa package...

I'll try to give hdmi a go on my hardware tomorrow and see if that throws up any clues.

Offline wysiwyg

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 10:20:01 AM »
I figured aplay was part of the alsa package. :)  Did you recommend going to pulse audio?  Could that be a possible solution?  Not sure what that would have to do with things in X, but...

Thanks for all your help though Juanito!

Dave

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 11:51:22 AM »

- (default)
0 HDA ATI HDMI
1 HD-Audio Generic

Both the "(default)" and "0 HDA ATI HDMI" just give values for "S/PDIF" and "S/PDIF 1", the "1 HD-Audio Generic" has the proper range of options.  I've unmuted every option in alsamixer, but it doesn't appear to affect anything - still no sound. 

Dave
I think you need to change your default soundcard from card0 to card1.

Below is what I made a note of, maybe give it a try, (no guarantees as I haven't had to use it myself).

the easiest way to solve this is to create a hidden file called .asoundrc (don't forget the dot in front of the name) in your home directory. Then open it and paste in this code:
Code:
        pcm.!default {
           type hw
           card 1
        }

ctl.!default {
           type hw           
           card 1
        }
Save it, log out and back in, and you should be good to go.
AMD, ARM, & Intel.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2015, 02:37:18 PM »
To help those still having issues with Sound, I tried to find a common set of extensions which worked on all my systems which guys new to tc could try.   First remove all sound related extensions from the onboot.lst.  Then install to OnBoot using Apps,  pci-utils.tcz and alsa-config.tcz

Again make sure these are in your onboot.lst file:
pci-utils.tcz
alsa-config.tcz

Downloading and Installing these two extensions using APPS to OnBoot will ensure you have all the required dependencies (like alsa.tcz etc etc) loaded.

after a reboot, open alsamixer and unmute any sound controls (using arrow keys to select the sound control and "m" key to unmute).  Most folks will only need to unmute the Master column, if you take your sound out via an S/PDIF passthrough then you'll need to unmute only the S/PDIF column.

test your sound from the command line with
speaker-test [-Ddefault:1] -c2 -t wav -l1copy and paste works better :p

A quick note: I found that while pci-utils was not needed for any of my hardware using tc-6.0-x86, However I had great difficulty with some hardware getting alsa to detect the sound chips properly without pci-utils installed when using tc-6.0-x86_64

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 11:36:06 PM »
A couple of additional points from extensive testing this morning with my laptop connected to a tv via an hdmi cable:

* stating the obvious perhaps, but hdmi will not work with the xf86-video-vesa driver - you will need the driver for your hardware loaded (eg xf86-video-intel, xf86-video-ati, etc). The hdmi cable needs to be connected to laptop and tv before "startx"

* hdmi sound would not work without the alsa-config extension loaded - analogue sound did work without alsa-config loaded. It was not necessary to issue any alsa commands nor un-mute anything.

* hdmi sound would not work with alsa alone - I did not try to make things work with any .asoundrc settings.

* hdmi sound worked with pulseaudio and xmms-pulse (remember to start the dbus daemon before "startx"). Note that pavucontrol had to be used to switch the output from "hdmi" to "hdmi 5,1" (surround sound).

* hdmi sound would not work with pulseaudio and totem - the picture was OK, but no sound.

* hdmi sound did work with gnome-session and totem. Note that gnome-control-center had to be used to switch the output from "hdmi" to "hdmi 5,1" (surround sound).

The difficulties could be related to my specific hardware, but it does show that hdmi sound is not straightforward.

Offline wysiwyg

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2015, 07:40:41 AM »
Good morning everyone, thanks for the continued help!

@core-user I don't think that the issue is with the default selected card (although this would be valuable to know for other system adjustments down the road).  The problem is that when the various cards are selected in alsamixer, there are only two selections (S/PDIF and S/PDIF 1) for the HDMI 'cards'.  I need the full range of audio options (e.g. Master, Surround, Center, etc).

@coreplayer2 I did as you prescribed, but the same results are appearing.  As Juanito pointed out, could it be an issue with the order that the extensions are being loaded?

If I try running speaker-test as you describe, I can see a test being run, but it looks like its over an audio output that isn't plugged in.  I tried using various values for the -D command, but I constantly got a list of errors or this error:

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1022:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

But under no circumstances could I get any test playback unless -Ddefault:1 was used!

@Juanito Looking through the X log, it does appear that the ATI driver is being loaded and not vesa.  The HDMI cable remains plugged into the device at all times.  Alsa-config is currently being loaded (per coreplayer2's advice) without any differences to audio playback.  Not sure if there is something you would like me to try regarding some of your other list items.

Thanks,
Dave