WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: hypo question about core and hd system  (Read 2014 times)

Offline ed_crumbpacker

hypo question about core and hd system
« on: December 29, 2014, 02:51:26 PM »
Suppose I have a slackware, gentoo or other linux machine. I boot tiny core from CDROM (9 mb version).  Then I copied the entire file system to a clean linux partition. (Not the .gz but the dir and files).   Can I then fix up the boot and run tiny core from hard disk like a regular linux (not from memory) or does everything have to be recompiled?   (Please don't ask why I would want to do this!  This is a learning question.).  What unforseen problems might I encounter?   Thanks in advance for any explanations and/or answers.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: hypo question about core and hd system
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 03:43:49 PM »
Core runs from memory, but consists of only 2 files.
You can copy the vmlinuz and core.gz to you slackware hard drive and add a boot entry to load core.
Then you need only a tce directry to install X and any other available extension.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: hypo question about core and hd system
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 05:29:18 PM »
Hi ed_crumbpacker
What you are looking for is referred to as  scatter mode  and is not supported, so don't expect much help. If you are going to do
that, you might be better served running another standard light Linux distro. Or build a custom version yourself, Google Linux from Scratch.
Now that I've suggest some alternatives which you will ignore, you can go to this forums  Search Page  and do a search for  Scatter Mode
for more information.