WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: UEFI bootable iso?  (Read 28762 times)

Offline sebus

Re: UEFI bootable iso?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 07:22:07 AM »
Thanks, will give it a go

sebus

Offline sebus

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 01:15:21 PM »
This works  :)

Code: [Select]
loadfont unicode
insmod efi_gop
set gfxmode=1366x768x32
set gfxpayload=keep
set gfxterm_font=unicode
terminal_output gfxterm

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root f8422ac1-fef4-48ce-b79e-abce5a598e8a

menuentry "corepure64_tc6_iso" {
  set isofile="/TinyCorePure64-6.0rc1.iso"
  loopback loop $isofile
  linux (loop)/boot/vmlinuz64 iso-scan/filename=$isofile quiet noswap
  initrd (loop)/boot/corepure64.gz
}

If using TinyCorePure64-6.0rc1.iso to boot directly (BIOS mode) in Workstation 11, all works perfect

If I boot from UEFI USB (with above entry in grub.cfg) I stop at shell prompt (NO GUI)

Is there way for TinyCorePure to also boot this way? (how to add APPEND loglevel=3 cde vga=791 )

sebus
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:19:33 PM by sebus »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 01:38:12 PM »
Hi sebus
I don't know for sure, but I would try adding to the right of   quiet noswap

Offline sebus

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 02:51:33 PM »
Perfect, thanks Rich, works as intended

sebus

Offline sebus

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 08:00:53 AM »
Well, sorry, but it does NOT work.

I got overexcited, as it did work, but ONLY if I had the iso mounted in Workstation as CD.

Without iso mounted (just the UEFI stick boot) it is a no go - no GUI

But I can "cheat" and copy the /cde folder to the root of USB (and it works this way)

sebus
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:03:47 AM by sebus »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 09:19:16 AM »
Without iso mounted (just the UEFI stick boot) it is a no go - no GUI

There is no gui in the corepure64 iso, once booted via the uefi stick boot, you would need to download the required extensions

Offline sebus

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 11:53:59 AM »
I am using TinyCorePure64-6.0rc1.iso

sebus

Offline pema

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 03:27:44 PM »
Hej.
@ Sebus: May I propose the refind boot loader ? Works quite nice, on a windoze you just replace the original bootloader with refind: Instead of installing, just copy the refind bootx64.efi with config file into the efi partition boot directory and in to the windows dir (here it must be renamed though to bootmfgw.efi, same filename as original win loader), if not copied into win dir also your windoze will overwrite your boot settings at next boot. Your bios will start the refind bootloader instead of standard and refind will automagically scan and list all vmlinuz etc it finds and lists as bootable(depending to settings in config file), you now have the option playing freely with lots of lnx kernels without thinking about the bootloader, and its rather nice graphic with option to add your own icons. The uefi is capable of several partitions (128 ?) so you can chop up your harddrive as you wish. Refind can also scan and boot usb drives if configured for that.
Do not forget to backup original EFI partition before tinkering, I have heard of people making mistakes eventhough you and I dont have time for that.

Kindly Peter.

Edit: I confirm the issues of getting a desktop in the tinycorepure64 6.0 iso, made a post before I read your notice.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:31:39 PM by pema »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 03:42:08 AM »
some progress being made, I can uefi boot a cd burned from a modified iso, but:

* with an external grub.cfg I get dropped to the grub prompt
* with an embedded grub.cfg I see "welcome to grub" and then a bunch of blocked out "?" like the efi font is not loaded

the almost total lack of documentation doesn't help...

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 04:50:40 AM »
I finally managed to create an iso that, when burned to CD/DVD, will boot in legacy bios and uefi modes - on my latitude e7240 both are listed at power on.

In uefi mode, the console should display at the native screen resolution.

The iso is much bigger than it needs to be, but there's not much point refining things if there is no demand for this kind of thing - although I wonder if the iso could also be "burnt" to usb stick...

Only tested so far on a usb external CD/DVD drive, if anytbody else would like to test CorePure64_mb-6.1rc1.iso available here:

http://tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86_64/release_candidates/

Offline pq5190362

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 05:38:51 AM »
Hello,

I finally managed to create an iso that, when burned to CD/DVD, will boot in legacy bios and uefi modes - on my latitude e7240 both are listed at power on.

In uefi mode, the console should display at the native screen resolution.

The iso is much bigger than it needs to be, but there's not much point refining things if there is no demand for this kind of thing - although I wonder if the iso could also be "burnt" to usb stick...

Only tested so far on a usb external CD/DVD drive, if anytbody else would like to test CorePure64_mb-6.1rc1.iso available here:

I tried to boot CorePure64_mb-6.1rc1.iso in VirtualBox 4.30.20 with the Machine -> Settings -> System -> Motherboard -> Extended Features -> Enable EFI (special OSes only) option activated and it seems to boot just fine.

Then I wanted to create a bootable USB flash drive from CorePure64_mb-6.1rc1.iso using Rufus 1.4.12 with Partition scheme and taget system type set to GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer.

But I didn't even came that far, because Rufus 1.4.12 immediately complains when trying to load the ISO and throws the following error message:

Quote from: Rufus 1.4.12 when trying to load CorePure64_mb-6.1rc1.iso
Unsupported ISO

This version of Rufus only supports bootable ISOs based on bootmgr/WinPE, isolinux or EFI.

This ISO doesn't appear to use either...

I do not get this error message when loading a recent Ubuntu 64-bit ISO inside Rufus 1.4.12.

Regards
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:47:31 AM by pq5190362 »

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 07:24:05 AM »

Just booted from pendrive on my Acer netbook which seems to work OK if you use dd to create the pendrive.  8)
AMD, ARM, & Intel.

Offline pq5190362

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 07:44:09 AM »
Just booted from pendrive on my Acer netbook which seems to work OK if you use dd to create the pendrive.  8)

Booted in which mode?

UEFI? Or BIOS?

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 08:56:42 AM »
Sorry, I just left it to boot up, likely it was mbr/bios.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:58:36 AM by core-user »
AMD, ARM, & Intel.

Offline Head_on_a_Stick

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2015, 11:05:28 AM »
For anyone interested, I have Corepure64 booting up in EFI-mode using pure EFISTUB with no bootloader at all.

I am using it from a HDD shared with an Arch install with the kernel image & initial ramdisk copied to the EFI system partition.

To get it to boot I used the `efibootmgr` command to directly write a new NVRAM entry in my firmware (BIOS) -- this command could also be used from a live ISO.
# efibootmgr -d /dev/sdX -p Y -c -L "TinyCore" -l /vmlinuz64 -u "root=/dev/sdAB ro initrd=/corepure64.gz"Where "X" is the drive letter & "Y" is the partition number of the EFI system partition and "AB" is the drive letter and parition number of the location of the /tce folder.

TinyCore rocks! I love it :)

EDIT: It is also possible to use gummiboot -- /boot/loader/entires/tinycore.conf
title   TinyCore
linux   /vmlinuz64
initrd  /corepure64.gz
options root=/dev/sdAB
For this method, gummiboot must be installed in the "host" system ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:10:13 AM by Head_on_a_Stick »