WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: dcore-101  (Read 24608 times)

Offline sm8ps

Re: dcore-101
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 09:27:08 PM »
Ah, I see. Thanks for proof-reading! I happened to browse some scripts yesterday where I noticed the /bb path but I did not see anything behind it. Now it makes perfect sense. Clever strategy, indeed! I will add your information in the wiki page soon.

Cheers!
sm

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 11:44:24 PM »
On browsing the wiki, though I may have said it before, but I want to say thanks for the work.  I will peek in it and make aware of any changes as they my happen.  I am hoping that the main concepts and routines are in place now and the focus can then be on packages and creating the needed startup scripts to get those working that do not now but can be in relation to dCore.

And, I am familiar with the "Smart Questions" classic thread.  But it asks you to:

Try to find an answer by reading the manual.

Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ.

Try to find an answer by searching the Web.

Try to find an answer by asking a skilled friend.

Well, with dCore there is no manual (wiki is just materailzing), and there is no FAQ, if you find much on dCore via Google let me know, and if you have a friend well versed in dCore send him my way.  What I am saying is that do not worry about perfection in contributions to dCore in the same way that we do with a normal existing project.  If you have documentation but may contain errors, contribute.  If you think you found a bug, let me know.  I will let you know if there is need for correction.  If in doubt, contribute.  Sure, do the homework you are able at your own level of knowledge, but dCore is going in uncharted territory for both you and me, and we will make it work together.  I say this for anyone in the future who wants to be a part of dCore and it's progress.

Offline LichenSymbiont

• Github: LichenSymbiont
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2015, 11:32:26 AM »
I've finished (at least the main stuff) my guide to the scripts, and created the development page for dCore:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:development
Which I've linked to from the welcome page.

Take a peak... I don't completely understand the scripts (in fact I thought I understood more before I started the guide ;D), and I'm learning as I write.
So there might even be some huge flaw...
But I hope it will make it easier to understand the important specifics of dCore's scripts.

I will go through it again later tonight, and continue to study the scripts, and improve upon the guide.

And great work with the additional pages sm8ps!

JasonW:
Understood!
And "If you have documentation but may contain errors, contribute" is something I should really internalize!
I should at least contribute the general outline of things, so others can partake in the process.
Basic mindfulness discipline: Why not be totally relaxed and fearless in this moment?
I have finally started my Github page for dCore: https://github.com/LichenSymbiont/linux-scripts

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2015, 11:40:27 AM »
This is awesome, many thanks for putting this most valuable information together! It will take me some time for reading it thoroughly.

Time is the scarce resource at the moment but I will get back to the wiki soon.

Cheers!
sm

Offline LichenSymbiont

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2015, 12:33:46 PM »
Thanks!
I thought it was pretty awesome writing it -- but when I read it... it's just "Then...", line after line...
I think a well-documented script would be better. It could be uploaded to the ftp for dCore.
We will see if I get around to it... I think Jason would also be more comfortable with just adding a bit more documentation for the scripts, for instructive purposes?

Cheers!
Basic mindfulness discipline: Why not be totally relaxed and fearless in this moment?
I have finally started my Github page for dCore: https://github.com/LichenSymbiont/linux-scripts

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2015, 02:52:10 PM »
Two quick suggestions without having given them too much thought:

. The readability could be improved by putting the individual points into a bullet or numbered list. I would indeed consider this helpful. (But I dislike the way it is implemented in Simplemachines forum ...)

. How can we make sure the information stays up-to-date with possible updates of the script? Should your comments maybe embedded into the script themselves? Or should we just keep an eye on the changelog? I think you should include a version number or date if possible.

Cheers!
sm

Offline LichenSymbiont

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2015, 04:30:31 AM »
Yes, it definitely improved readability.

And I will only be keeping more and more in touch with the scripts, as now I really understand enough...
... I notice my typing is really smooth today, after typing a lot yesterday... I should really keep exercising writing and typing more consistently!

Oh, and I will be embedding the documentation in the scripts. Though I'm writing a overview of the scripts functionality now, so you get into the right context and mind-state when studying the scripts.

Offline sm8ps

USB-installation 101
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »
Greetings to anybody following this thread! I have not dropped dead but just pushed to the floor by a humongous load of work. However, now I do have some time to invest into dCore.

I put together a page about a beginners-101 installation of dCore:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:usb_installation_test-drive
It is referenced from the welcome page http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:welcome
where I took the liberty of moving some things around in order to make its layout more clear.

If you find any mistakes, don't hesitate pointing them out! Proof-reading is very welcome!

Cheers!
Stefan

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2015, 01:53:13 PM »
Thank you for your documentation!!

Couple of things:

Multiple virtual terminals via the multivt boot code.
Same persistence across reboots via backup like standard Core.

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2015, 01:10:53 AM »
Same persistence across reboots via backup like standard Core.

I do not know much about *Core in general but it seems clear to me that the backup process is "inherited" from standard Core.
Do you mean that I should speak of *Core if possible in the article and only specifically mention dCore as it deviates? That might be helpful in order to make the distinction clear as there is quite a lot of material for TinyCore around but very little about dCore which can get confusing for novices.
Or is there anything to add with respect to backups?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2015, 02:10:27 AM »
Backup and persistence is exactly the same as in Core, same commands, same code, etc.  So the instructions for backup and persistence in Core apply to dCore.

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2015, 02:13:26 AM »
OK, got it! I shall include this information in the wiki soon.

Thanks for your continuous efforts with dCore!

Offline dicorer

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2015, 04:04:57 AM »
well, I just had fast a look at http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:usb_installation_test-drive ...
I wish I knew about that wiki before, it gives indeed few nice hints, which took me hours to discover  ::)

If I can give few suggestions for improvements:

1) put a link to http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:usb_installation_test-drive into http://tinycorelinux.net/dCore/x86/README , beginners deserve it

2) document all dcore boot options existing so far. Simply do a grep run search on the whole dcore initrd about "/proc/cmdline", that will take you where all boot options are

3) document all sce-import options existing so far. Unfortunately I know, that's not so simple, as they are spread around many scripts... ;)

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2015, 05:41:41 AM »
Thanks for your substantial comments! I know what you mean when talking about discovery hours. :) Maybe you can extract some documentation from your discovery hours?

The wiki page about dCore has remained in a dormant state for the last few months. It is growing, though, and hopefully will soon reach a certain level of maturity so that we can "advertise" it more publicly.

1) I do not know who is in charge of the files section but I had wanted to comb through the README-files anyways. I will keep your suggestion in mind. JasonW must have write access for sure.

2) Great hint, thanks! AFAIKT most of the boot codes are well documented, so your method picking for the remaining ones is well appreciated. I shall put together a page on that or update an existing one.

3) JasonW has given a complete list (as of January 5th) in
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,17863.msg107914.html#msg107914
which will serve as a base.

Cheers!
Stefan

Offline dicorer

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2015, 08:19:14 AM »
You are welcome :)
Thanks for your substantial comments! I know what you mean when talking about discovery hours. :) Maybe you can extract some documentation from your discovery hours?
well, ok :)
for example, it would be honest to warn users who dl alsamixer, whose settings, if not appropriate, can produce damages.
In fact I read that in the dcore forum somewhere, I gave it a cautious try, and by me it was true, so I have to thank dcore community for that useful knowledge now.
Since it seems that info is kept somehow unknown to the mass of users, dcore could step already ahead ;)

3) JasonW has given a complete list (as of January 5th) in
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,17863.msg107914.html#msg107914
which will serve as a base.
those are the "officials" :)
there are more...
I'm spending my last 2 weekends in digging out the "unofficial" ones... probably those are the remains of old tests, forgotten, use-drop codes, and so on... I don't know why they are kept hidden... anyway, they are coming out extremely useful, I built my whole new system on those hidden features, at such a level that, without them, there would NOT be my new system, at all ;D
I just say one: did you know you can already now exclude packages from importing, just putting them in a file named "PKGEXCLUDELIST"?